PDA

View Full Version : It worked!

Domhnull
08-29-2004, 10:12 PM
:shock: I now have Knoppix installed on my hard drive!

I haven't left Windows XP entirely at this point. I can't get online yet with Linux because I don't have a compatible wireless device. I'm planning to get a wireless ethernet bridge. I also need to figure out how to sync my Palm OS device, but I may be using XP for that for awhile yet. Plus there are games I'd still like to play.

I spent some time before trying anything reading posts here and at LinuxQuestions.org. I also used Knoppix in CD mode, tried a few other distros, and made up my mind.

I removed a bunch of unnecessary stuff from my hard drive, defragged like crazy, and then backed up all of my critical files. Once that was finished I used qtparted to resize my NTFS partition and free up some space. I rebooted, made sure XP worked still, then rebooted back to Knoppix. Then I created new partitions and ran the installer. LILO loaded fine. I tried XP first -- no problem. Then rebooted back to Knoppix on the hard drive.

Everything seems to be working fine. Once I get online I'll be transitioning more and more to Linux.

This is probably old hat to many folks here. Exciting for me, though. I have a lot to learn!

firebyrd10
08-30-2004, 01:58 AM
:shock: I now have Knoppix installed on my hard drive!

I haven't left Windows XP entirely at this point. I can't get online yet with Linux because I don't have a compatible wireless device. I'm planning to get a wireless ethernet bridge. I also need to figure out how to sync my Palm OS device, but I may be using XP for that for awhile yet. Plus there are games I'd still like to play.

I spent some time before trying anything reading posts here and at LinuxQuestions.org. I also used Knoppix in CD mode, tried a few other distros, and made up my mind.

I removed a bunch of unnecessary stuff from my hard drive, defragged like crazy, and then backed up all of my critical files. Once that was finished I used qtparted to resize my NTFS partition and free up some space. I rebooted, made sure XP worked still, then rebooted back to Knoppix. Then I created new partitions and ran the installer. LILO loaded fine. I tried XP first -- no problem. Then rebooted back to Knoppix on the hard drive.

Everything seems to be working fine. Once I get online I'll be transitioning more and more to Linux.

This is probably old hat to many folks here. Exciting for me, though. I have a lot to learn!
Yes it is a steep learning curve. But it is something new and its still fun for me.

One thing to watch out for. BEcause knoppix is based on CId (The unstable version of Debain) when you upgrade or try to install some programs it won't work because the libaries ca't be install. Don't fret, thats just how Cid is. So when you feel comfortable enough, try installing sarge or woody (go to debain.org to download, I would suggest the net install.

Because woody is stable (Sarge is testing, about to become stable) they will install with alot less problems.

Good Luck.

Domhnull
08-30-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the tips. I've looked at Debian.org but I'll hold off for the moment. At least until I get online with Linux. Small steps.

aay
08-31-2004, 02:43 AM
One thing to watch out for. BEcause knoppix is based on CId (The unstable version of Debain) when you upgrade or try to install some programs it won't work because the libaries ca't be install.
Good Luck.

This can be solved in every instance I have seen by doing the following.

Instead of doing this:

apt-get install (name_of_program)

Do this:

apt-get -t unstable install (name_of_program)

"-t unstable" will requre apt install the program from unstable AND INSTALL ALL DEPENDENCIES FROM UNSTABLE.

I know that people often bring up the mixed nature of Knoppix as a problem for doing a hard drive install, but it's really a myth.

If you suspect that there might be problems just do the following:

apt-get -s -t unstable install (name_of_program)

The "-s" will simulate a install and you can see if you will be borked by having tons of packages removed. In my experience however using "-t unstable" almost always removes this danger.

kelmo
08-31-2004, 04:34 AM
firebyrd10,

What you said is not entirely true. Knoppix is not based on SID but is a mixture of all three levels of the debian distro. That is why upgrades are problematic. "True" debian SID installations work very well, the only drawback is periodic quirks in the applications because they are cutting edge!

You are right in saying that SARGE is a bit better for those who what a very usable problem free OS.

Domhnull
08-31-2004, 03:46 PM
thanks aay, that is helpful. I was reading about the different levels and wondered if I couldn't just use sid.