PDA

View Full Version : Help I'm stuck with Hard Drive install.....

MrGreen
08-30-2004, 07:43 AM
Hi,

I followed this http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2003/11/20/knoppix.html

to get knoppix to run from hard drive with the hope of doing my own custom knoppix....

but when I boot to knoppix (on hard disc) its looking for the CD-rom...

Is this best way to go about it or is there a better way ??

Thanks in Advance

Mr Green :?

mzilikazi
08-30-2004, 01:10 PM
Frankly I've never read a more complicated article about something that is really quite simple. It's all that GUI based business that's cluttering it up! BAH!

Looks like you're trying to boot the compressed KNOPPIX image from hdd. Not sure if you realize this but that's a static file system you're trying to boot. No customization will be done there.

Read this howto (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/RemasterFromHDInstallHowTo)

I think that's what you want. The difference being that you are now booting directly into your remastering environment. This is NOT a static file system because it is not compressed. You can add/remove apps, changes WM's etc. using apt as per normal. When you boot it will run the autodetection routines as normal.

The long and short of it is. You will have Knoppix, it can be customized, it can be recompressed and burned to disc.

You can find tips on tweaking and customizing your remaster to do what you want scattered throughout the remastering forum. Things change rapidly. I would probably avoid 10 month old articles on Knoppix. ;)

MrGreen
08-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Hi .. Thanks for your help your right it is an old article (I'm old too lol)

this is the bit that got me stumped...

/sbin/losetup /dev/loop0 /mnt/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img
mount /dev/loop0 /mnt/floppy/ # changed this to /mnt/test which worked
cp /mnt/floppy/* /mnt/hda1/boot # /mnt/test/* ???

edit knoppix to the rescue :) managed to get vmlinuz & miniroot.gz onto HD (although not in /boot dir as I would have wanted

Now running Knoppix from HD :P

Did try tohd=/dev/hda1 but that did not work....

knoppix-installer may have done the trick but I like to know whats going on (from terminal)

Am I going have trouble setting up my own custom Knoppix :?:

Thanks again for your help

MrGreen

MrGreen
08-30-2004, 04:41 PM
right got 3.3 working Ok..

df -hT
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root ext2 2.5M 1.8M 713K 72% /
/dev/cdrom iso9660 37G 729M 35G 3% /cdrom
/dev/cloop iso9660 1.9G 1.9G 0 100% /KNOPPIX
/ramdisk tmpfs 196M 5.8M 191M 3% /ramdisk