PDA

View Full Version : how do you pronounce KNOPPIX?

newknoppixguy
08-30-2004, 04:37 PM
I say Knoppix like this: noffix.
Is that how you are supposed to say it?
How do you pronounce it?

nayr
08-30-2004, 06:00 PM
no pix
or nop ix

robwelch100
08-30-2004, 07:42 PM
naw-pics
k= silent
o= like the o in stop (the two p's following make it that way)
pix= you should be able to figure this one out.

That is the way a person speaking english would pronounce it. That being said if you said it that way in germany you may get funny looks.

j.drake
08-30-2004, 11:28 PM
We've been through this already.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22476#22476

jd

SunnyB
08-31-2004, 07:12 PM
Whichever is most comfortable to the speaker is correct.

My preferred pronounciation is:

knoppix noppix

Bjorn Borg be-yorn borg

linux lie-nux

Houston Hyu-ston

Kazaa Kah-zah

Personal preference wins.

OErjan
08-31-2004, 07:29 PM
i wouldn't even want to know what youd call me. Örjan. that O with the dots over is pronounced about like "i" in bird. that is to a person speaking londoncocney.

j.drake
08-31-2004, 08:00 PM
So, (not meaning to get too personal), it rhymes with virgin? :oops:

OErjan
08-31-2004, 08:15 PM
Örjan rime with virgin?? guess so if one is verry generous...
it is said to mean "the forging one", st Örjan is the "saint" of metal-production, as in from ore.
guess that fits some as i am a blacksmith among other things (no blacksmiths do not shoe horses, that is farriers, blacksmiths make hinges, fences, rails, wallhooks, ancors, hammerheads... look here for a little list of projects made by blacksmiths http://anvilfire.com/iForge/index.htm ).
to be more precise the Ö sounds somewhat like that i in bird, the r aswell i guess. jan is like in january in "standard" english...

birdjanuary and remove "r" "d" and "uary"...

Cuddles
09-08-2004, 02:34 PM
I would pronounce it as:

nawp - icks

But have been found to be in error, when pronouncing GNome,

Its not pronounced like those small "elf-like" creatures that populate lawns, but, have found that it is more with a "predominant" Gaaa sound...

Gaaaa - nome ( where "nome" is more pronounced like those elf-like creatures )

Live and learn....

I think this is the same way GNU is pronounced, Gaaaa - new, and not just new...

Ms. Cuddles

robwelch100
10-15-2004, 10:05 PM
Funny, that a thread on something so trivial gets more replies than most posts about a hardware issue.

Cuddles
10-16-2004, 06:02 AM
Well, it makes sense, actually...

Everyone has an oppinion on pronunciation, but, not everyone has the same hardware, nor configured the same way -=- I, for one, will not respond to a "hardware" issue if I am completely clueless on the hardware... If I have "ideas", thats a different story, I may have "educated" input then. :D