PDA

View Full Version : Display settings changed.

digiSal
03-21-2003, 05:50 AM
Greetings all.

The first few times i ran Knoppix my display would take up the whole screen of my monitor. Now it is all centered. When knoppix is booting it uses the whole monitor from left to right but once kde is up and running it is all centered.

the same thing is happening with my Red Hat 8 install as well. It used to be fine but has since changed.

every setting i have seen it is set to 1024x768. I also used the screen cheatcode but nothing changed. I looked in the Xf86config file and 1024x768 is in there as a mode also.

thanks for any and all help.

i am on an
AMD Athlon 700mhz with
nVidia NV6 Vanta Video Card.

RockMumbles
03-21-2003, 06:23 AM
Have you tried resizing your monitor picture with the controls on your monitor?

I've run into this when switching between OS's because they are not running the same video mode(frequencies), even though they are running the same resolution.

rock

digiSal
03-21-2003, 11:28 AM
well, i was in win2k when i posted that, and i booted back into RH to do some poking around and what do you know, i got full screen back.

maybe the screen hack had something to do with it. I will boot into Knoppix later this afternoon to see what will happen.

thanks.

--Sal-

Loper
03-21-2003, 03:09 PM
When Knoppix is booting it uses the whole monitor from left to right but once KDE is up and running it is all centered... every setting I have seen it is set to 1024x768. I also used the screen cheatcode but nothing changed. I looked in the Xf86config file and 1024x768 is in there as a mode also.

Be aware that there are two separate issues here. the 1024x768 resolution is one, but the scan/refresh rate is another. For example: when the vertical refresh is 75 Hz the monitor loads different settings than when the vertical refresh is 85 Hz. This aspect can be addressed in the Xf86config file.

This can especially come into play when you are dual-booting. If you run at the same resolution and refresh rate in both environments, one display may be off-center or otherwise "wrong" because of timing differences between the two OSs. I try to make them different enough, one from another, to reduce this problem.

digiSal
03-21-2003, 07:55 PM
Be aware that there are two separate issues here. the 1024x768 resolution is one, but the scan/refresh rate is another. For example: when the vertical refresh is 75 Hz the monitor loads different settings than when the vertical refresh is 85 Hz. This aspect can be addressed in the Xf86config file.

This can especially come into play when you are dual-booting. If you run at the same resolution and refresh rate in both environments, one display may be off-center or otherwise "wrong" because of timing differences between the two OSs. I try to make them different enough, one from another, to reduce this problem.

i was thinking along these lines when i booted into Red Hat last nite, when i everything went back to normal. i had jotted down my vertical and horizon hz and khz. in Win2k its
H 48.3 kHz V 60.0Hz
and here in RH its
H 68.6kHz V 85.0hz

i thought that the monitor settings carried through from OS to OS. I though it was a monitor thing. Now i know different, but still need to learn more about it.

Thanks
--Sal-

Loper
03-21-2003, 08:34 PM
...I had jotted down my vertical and horizontal Hz and kHz. in Win2k it's H 48.3 kHz/V 60.0Hz and in RH it's H 68.6kHz/V 85.0hz

...still need to learn more about it.
I know this is a bit off-topic, but the flicker from a 60 Hz vertical refresh will drive your eyes crazy after a while. There's a flaw in Win2k/XP that makes it difficult to set a different refresh rate -- but there are several utilities available to deal with this. A good place to start is the download section at http://www.Guru3D.com where you will find a couple of utilities to force higher refresh rates. Another useful (free) utility is MultiRes from http://www.EntechTaiwan.com which allows you to change resolutions and refresh rates on-the-fly.