PDA

View Full Version : apt-get kernel-image-*

Stealth870
08-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Is this is as easy as it seems? Just install a kernel with apt-get as I wish? I probably have to add a line in LILO.conf or something though right? If that's all then how much space would a kernel take up? Or could it overwrite another kernel? (as in, I have Knop 3.4, with 2.4.26, woulda apt-get of 2.4.27 overwrite the previous one?)

jayhags
08-30-2004, 06:08 PM
I have used apt-get to update my kernel on a debian system before. It dosen't overwrite your old kernel, it simply adds it to the system and makes it the default at boot. Your old kernel will be there for recovery.

lilo or grub will be configured for you.

As for size, I'm not sure. I usually have a root partition and swap so space is not an issue for me. If you created a boot partition than you may need to check.

Stealth870
08-30-2004, 07:02 PM
Size really doesn't matter for me either, as long as the kernel isn't like a whole 'nother 3GB or someting. And will LILO be configured during the install automatically, or will I do it manually?

jayhags
08-30-2004, 07:11 PM
Have a look at this link (I'm guessing x86, but you can pick a specific kernel like k7 for athlon)

http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/kernel-image-2.4.27-1-386

The kernel will be about 28MB installed.

Lilo will be configured automatically for you.