PDA

View Full Version : How do i update knoppix 3.3 to the new version ?

loopback
08-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Hi,

i am a "Knoppix-starter" and did install Knoppix 3.3 some time
ago. I run a Notebook with WindowsXp and Knoppix 3.3.

I wanted to update my Knoppix Version by apt-get update and
apt-get upgrade. Thats what i did find with google so far.
Some things did succed, but now i am still on V 3.3.

I get some failure messages here:

libc-dev: belongs to libc6 (=2.3.2.ds1-13) but 2.3.2.ds1-10 for install...
or something like that...

Any idea on how i can fix it ? I just wanted to update because i run nmap 3.48 and want to get the new one :-)

(sorry for my bad english ;-) )

mathis
09-02-2004, 06:28 PM
As you can see in the man pages for APT ("man apt"), there are more options than these. I think you have to do an "apt dist-upgrade" after "apt update", then it will tell you what he keeps and what he will update. If something is left, do a normal "apt upgrade" after the dist-upgrade...

:D this should work...

wcloteaux
09-04-2004, 08:30 PM
If you are looking for the simplist, acquire Knoppix's latest version 3.4 or 3.6 and install over the old 3.3. Easy and fast. If you are looking to update 3.3 without an upgrade to a newer version APT-GET is the way. I'm using 3.4 and 3.6. This is being written on 3.4. Regardless as to which route you take go slowly. It will work out. I crash one of my systems about once a week. It is not the distro but my playing ideas that don't always work. Have fun.

William

CrashedAgain
09-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Hi,

Some things did succed, but now i am still on V 3.3.

You will always on 3.3; upgrade will not 'upgrade' to Knoppix 3.4. You will end up with a 'modified' 3.3 which the installed packages are upgraded to later versions only.

I get some failure messages here:

libc-dev: belongs to libc6 (=2.3.2.ds1-13) but 2.3.2.ds1-10 for install...
or something like that...

You may have more succes by upgrading specific packages only. Upgrade will not do this, the way to do it is
apt-get -t <stable, testing or unstable> install <package>
for example 'apt-get -t testing install konqueror' will install an upgraded version of konqueror; the version being whatever version is in the 'testing' repository at the present time (I think that is 3.2.3)
However, Knoppix 3.3 is now quite old & probably everthing will need an upgrade. Also, there are some major setup changes between KDE 3.1.x & 3.2.x some of which are tricky to setup so it's probably a better idea to switch to Knoppix 3.4 or 3.6 where these setups are already done.