PDA

View Full Version : Simple Hard drive Install on clean 15 gig

dudeman007
08-30-2004, 11:16 PM
Hello everyone I have been using knoppix a bit lately and I have found it difficult to install knoppix 3.6 and even 3.4 on my 15 gig, I have tried many tutorials on this site and others but many on the instructions are outdated for earlier versions or are for dual boot scenarios. I was just wondering if there are simple instructions or and applications to allow for a stand alone knoppix install on a 15 gig hard drive.

thank you

baldyeti
08-30-2004, 11:32 PM
Hmm... which part did you find complicated? Try booting with "knoppix noswap" then as soon as you've got the graphical desktop showing, open a konsole (terminal with shell icon) and type "sudo knx2hd", and simply follow the menus. Since you're not even trying to dual-boot with windows, hardly anything can go wrong!

dudeman007
08-31-2004, 01:09 AM
thank you so much got it installed now im up and running, but i have a question about installing applications. i tried to install firefox using kpackage and i dont know what the root password is or how to input one. Is there a way to bypass it or disable it so that i can install applications?

thanks again

Sirius78
09-01-2004, 01:12 PM
During the installation of Knoppix, it had asked you for root password... so you forgot about it....?!

nishtya
09-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Is it possible he chose as install type the CD kind of install and knoppix is still behaving as such? And there is no "root password".

dudeman007
09-19-2004, 02:59 AM
Basicly I installed just like baldyeti told me and when I tried to install anything such as firefox it would always ask for root password in the Kpackage application

shah
09-19-2004, 03:05 AM
Yes it will always ask you for root password, so does synaptic. Its for security reason, so that nobody can install any application without your approval. You know your root password, don't you.
:D :D

firebyrd10
09-19-2004, 03:24 AM
The knx2hd script is out of date, so it could cause some problems.

Your best bet is to use knoppix-installer

baldyeti
09-19-2004, 09:59 AM
The knx2hd script is out of date, so it could cause some problems.

Your best bet is to use knoppix-installerMmhhh... are you sure? I haven't bothered downloading anything newer than 3.4, but knx2hd used to be a mere symbolic link to knoppix-installer. IOW, it's but one script.

techdesk
09-21-2004, 05:22 AM
If you boot into knoppix and then run a terminal and type "su" without the quotations and then type "passwd" again without the quotations and then type a password (you won't see any evidence of a password being typed, just do it), then hit enter, then re-type the exact same password, then hit enter it should say password changed or tokens updated successfully or some such thing, then close the terminal, then try to open the application you want to use (kpackage), when prompted for "root" password, enter the one you just typed and hit enter, if yuo are in great, if you are not, I can't help being little more than a newbie myself.

I would suggest doing the install over again, choosing "debian instal" and then make sure you write down your passwords...or try booting using this option:

knoppix 1

when at the prompt, type passwd, and enter one(a password that is), hit enter again, re-type the same password, when it gives the "success message, reboot and at the boot: prompt try typing:

knoppix 3

when it gives you the hostname:~$ prompt type "root" (again without the quotations), hit enter on your keyboard, then type the password that you typed while in runlevel 1 (standalone - non multi user -non networked envrionment, used specifically for troubleshooting the system), hit enter and if it gives you a root@hostname:~$ prompt, then try to type in "startx" (again, without the quotations) and see if X will load for you or not---it should since it is when booting to runlevel 5 (graphical desktop environment)

I always change the default runlevel in inittab myself, look for a line that reads like this(near the top of the file located here: /etc/inittab)

------snip:start: top lines of my inittab---------

# /etc/inittab: init(8) configuration.
# $Id: inittab,v 1.9 2001/05/31 10:37:50 knopper Exp $

# The default runlevel.
id:5:initdefault:

# Boot-time system configuration/initi
------snip:End: top lines of my inittab---------

change this:

id:5:initdefault:

to this:

id:3:initdefault:
save the file and reboot, you should only boot as far as cli (command line interface) and you will need to type in "startx" hereafter to get your "windows" or X environment.

root user is the same as administrator on a Windows NT box. In other words if you want to nstall software, or make any system changes, you need to use the administrator or "root" account to do it, since linux does not have an administrator account(that I know of-getting back to my newbieness...), you must use the root account.

You could always boot into normal user, then open a terminal and su to root...then run kpackage& (the ampersand places the job in the background to free up the shell for more commands) but that doesn't work for me on ANY knoppix distro, I always have to login to the root X environment to use kpackage or it does not behave properly....in normal user mode, I simply open term, su , apt-get update or apt-get install package name, or apt-get remove package name...works fine as long as ya don't attempt to use kpackage under su ---this is totally in my experience and it may work fine for others-I've never asked

techdesk
09-21-2004, 05:26 AM
"I always change the default runlevel in inittab myself, look for a line that reads like this(near the top of the file located here: /etc/inittab) "

because if X breaks (which in my experience it does often--most likley my own fault-I just can't leave well enough alone=school of hard knocks!!! :-) you'll want to be booting into runlevel 3 to troubleshoot anyways, and how often do ya just wanna check yer email? With mutt, ya don't even need X for that simple crap, why bother starting windows or X for a few minutes before you run out, and you're in a hurry, so type mutt at the ~$ and away ya go into email land...lallallalalalalaland...

LOL

Cya

J