PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled beginner, question, file size v3.6

Ptarmigan
08-31-2004, 12:01 AM
Hi, I am a new refugee from Windows :), help ! I am puzzled by the file size of Knoppix v3.6

I read some download FAQs etc, gave my daughter (she has the broadband connection) a 700Mb CDRW and asked her to download the v3.6 for me from a UK mirror. She reported error messages from her burner about file size but sent me the disk anyway, shur enough it is corrupt, IsoBuster, for example, can only see 48% of it.
So I start a 40hr (!) download myself (56k modem) and I see that the file is 733+Mb ! no wonder she had problems !!

So, what have I missed, do I continue my download ? What happens next ? I was sure the documentation said somewhere that it would fit on a 700M CD, what gives :-!)

Thanks,
Malcolm.

j.drake
08-31-2004, 12:27 AM
Yes, it should. You aren't burning the 733 MB file to the disk - you're using the file to create an image on the disk.

See:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/DownloadingHowTo
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqDownloading

Oh, and welcome, BTW

jd

Ptarmigan
08-31-2004, 01:19 AM
Yes, it should. You aren't burning the 733 MB file to the disk - you're using the file to create an image on the disk.Ah I see, I think! Yes, I knew I (we) would be creating an image (of it) on disk, but I didnt cotton on to the idea that there would be some compression en route, thanks for that.
Now the only remaining mystery is why her burner (Win98se+nero) didnt do that automatically :(
I wont be seeing her till later in the week, at which time we could lift her file via zip (or split zip on 2 CDs) back to my machine for me to investigate. Or by then I may have completed my 20 sessions of 2hrs and have my own copy to play with :)

Oh, and welcome, BTW
Oh, cheers ! and thanks for your swift response jd :)

[Oh! Ahh, edit Just found this in one of the links you gave]". (Notice, Nero 6 has a bug preventing it from burning large images, for a patch see: "
Hmmm, I wonder if she has Nero6,
but I cant go patching her machine if it is so, you know " the TV worked OK till you fixed the washer on the tap(faucet) in the bathroom !!!)
I have WinME and Nero 5.0.3.9, guesses anyone ?

Malcolm.
,,52Mb down 681+ to go !!

j.drake
08-31-2004, 05:04 PM
Well, in the worst case scenario, you could always download a trial version of another burner (e.g., Alcohol 120%). That's what I used to burn 3.6, after my 30-day trial of Nero expired. :wink: Others have posted various open-source burners, and, of course, once you get at least one version of Knoppix going, you can burn the new version while running the old (assuming that you have a second CD drive or run fromhd).

jd

Ptarmigan
09-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Thanks, jd, for your help and suggestions , but ,,
I got as far as downloading 135Mb then I started getting "connection reset by peer" interuptions from the UK mirror, and the trouble was I couldn't see why my ftp prog didn't retry and pick it up again, so it couldnt be left unattended :(
So, I'll have to leave it to try again another day.

Meanwhile, perhaps I'll look into one of the smaller versions, DamnSmallLinux or Feather or something perhaps.

regards,
Malcolm.

j.drake
09-01-2004, 09:01 PM
You do realize, don't you, that you can simply order a pre-burned disk, right? http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-vendors/index-en.php Out ot three UK sites, two of them sell for 5 pounds each, one sells @ 5 euros. When I still had dial-up, I bought my first copy for $5USD.

I just hate to see you going through so much time and hassle to do this when you can get one so cheap

jd

Ptarmigan
09-01-2004, 09:18 PM
you can simply order a pre-burned disk, right?yes thanks, but that doesnt seem quite right, you see -->>
time and hassle to do this when you can get one so cheapCost isnt the problem, it's the challenge to learn something new, if I had just bought one I wouldnt have learned about ISOs, right !? No worries mate, we shall overcome some day ;-) , or even at the weekend when I may get my hands on my daughter's computer :-))
Or I may either restart or resume with another mirror.

Malcolm.

firebyrd10
09-04-2004, 08:04 AM
you can simply order a pre-burned disk, right?yes thanks, but that doesnt seem quite right, you see -->>
time and hassle to do this when you can get one so cheapCost isnt the problem, it's the challenge to learn something new, if I had just bought one I wouldnt have learned about ISOs, right !? No worries mate, we shall overcome some day ;-) , or even at the weekend when I may get my hands on my daughter's computer :-))
Or I may either restart or resume with another mirror.

Malcolm.

Along with that, make sure you md5sum the .iso to make sure its not corrupt (ir else you'll spend alot of time wondering why it isn't working)
http://www.md5summer.org/
(you'll need the .md5 files witht he same name also, there only about 2kB each.)

Also you might want to consider bittorrent. It alows resumes and (though you probably won't see a difference) sometimes has high downloading speeds then ftp (the more seeds the better).

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Good luck

Ptarmigan
09-05-2004, 06:55 PM
md5sum the .iso to make sure its not corrupt ,, http://www.md5summer.org/Thanks firebyrd, it was a prog. I meant to get round to checking out, you prompted me to go directly to have a look, nice program/method and should save me a lot of time when I next do some backing up and archiving as well.

Also you might want to consider bittorrent. ah yes, another thing on my roundtuit list :) But I think (might be wrong) that it is more oriented to the higher bandwidth always-on user that can also contribute/share as well ?
(<rant>I have used various p2p from time to time, gnotella, gnucleus, LimeWire, Bearshare, WinMX etc and am always putoff/made nervous by diatribes and 'fixes' about leachers, all very unhelpful </rant> oops sorry, shudhave said that in TheLounge :-!) )
best wishes,
Malcolm.

ICPUG
09-06-2004, 07:10 PM
The first item in this thread queried the Knoppix 3.6 file size being 700MB and yet the download of 3.6 being 733,xxx,xxx.

The same question was asked of me last week and then I remembered.

700MB = 700 x 1024 x 1024 = 734,003,200 bytes.

Unfortunately some software reports the latter figure as 734MB, thinking there are 1,000,000 bytes in a MB.

So the new version 3.6 will fit on a 700MB CD without compression. It does help if your burning software can calculate its megabytes correctly though and you must use the facility to burn the iso image and not copy it as a file.

ICPUG

firebyrd10
09-07-2004, 05:19 PM
But I think (might be wrong) that it is more oriented to the higher bandwidth always-on user that can also contribute/share as well ?
(<rant>I have used various p2p from time to time, gnotella, gnucleus, LimeWire, Bearshare, WinMX etc and am always putoff/made nervous by diatribes and 'fixes' about leachers, all very unhelpful </rant> oops sorry, shudhave said that in TheLounge :-!) )
best wishes,
Malcolm.
Correct, it is geared towards the broadband, but unlike other P2P networks, you need to download a bitttorrent file, this makes sure that you only download whats on the file. And if you get the file from one of the links from here you'll be fine.