PDA

View Full Version : slmodemd -- Where to find?

Kowood
08-31-2004, 12:28 AM
Someone suggested to me that I use the program slmodemd to make the driver for my WinModem work in Knoppix. Where can I find it?

mzilikazi
08-31-2004, 01:56 AM
First let me say that I don't own a modem nor do I have any clue as to how to set up a modem. That said......you should always check Debian for your package before getting all crazy and trying to build something from source that could be gotten w/ apt-get. ;) Just try a general search for modem:

$ apt-cache search modem|grep sl

eagle-adsl-data - Data for Eagle USB ADSL modems
eagle-adsl-modules-src - Kernel module for Eagle USB ADSL modems
eagle-adsl-tools - Userspace tools for Eagle USB ADSL modems
eciadsl - userspace driver for the Globespan-based USB ADSL modems
portslave - Terminal server that does PPP and authenticates via RADIUS
xdslusb - tools for Conexant-based USB DSL modems
xdslusb-source - kernel module for Conexant-based USB DSL modems
sl-modem-daemon - SmartLink software modem daemon
sl-modem-source - SmartLink software modem driver - module building source
eciadsl-usermode - usermode drivers for eci adsl modem.
sl-modem-modules-2.6.8.1-kanotix-3 - Smart Link modem modules for Linux (kernel 2.6.8.1-kanotix-3)

OK so it exists in Debian. So far so good.....
But, is it installed?

# dpkg -l|grep modem
ii eciadsl-usermo 0.9-1 usermode drivers for eci adsl modem.
ii lrzsz 0.12.21-4 Tools for zmodem/xmodem/ymodem file transfer
ii ltmodem-2.6.8. 0-1 Package created with checkinstall 1.5.3
ii modemlink-knop 0.5-2 Lightweight setup for /dev/modem
ii sl-modem-daemo 2.9.8-2 SmartLink software modem daemon
ii sl-modem-modul 2.9.8-1+10.00. Smart Link modem modules for Linux (kernel 2

So the long and short of it is, it exists, it *may* be installed on Knoppix, I dunno but it's definitely included w/ Kanotix. Now, if you have an hdd install then just use apt-get to install what you need. If running from cd you can only use the drivers already included with your particular disc.

HTH

kelmo
08-31-2004, 04:21 AM
I have such a device, and have it running under Knoppix.

mzilikazi is correct in suggesting using the debian packages.

To get them to work you must be familiar with compiling modules against kernel-source. That is why using Kanotix is much easier, they are built for you!

Basically you have to apt-get install sl-modem-source, build the module agaist the kernels pre-configured source tree, install the module and then apt-get install sl-modem-daemon.

Kowood
08-31-2004, 04:58 PM
:? Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with all those fancy words. Can I do this with a poor man's install?

mzilikazi
09-01-2004, 12:43 AM
:? Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with all those fancy words. Can I do this with a poor man's install?

Forget doing it the hard way and just get Kanotix (http://kanotix.com/info/index.php) It already has your drivers included! :)

Kowood
09-01-2004, 01:13 AM
I have such a device, and have it running under Knoppix.
What type of modem? Brand, model.... Mine's a USR 56k WinModem Faxmodem Internal.