PDA

View Full Version : cfdisk crashes system

sergioroa
08-31-2004, 02:47 AM
Hi

I am trying to install Knoppix 3.3 on the HDD. I have done it several times in other PCs, but I have now the following problem:

Previously I had SuSE 7.3 with reiserfs and Windows 98. When I tried to install Knoppix, I received the following message from cfdisk:

"No partition table or unknown signature on partition table"

That was strange, because SuSE was detecting all partitions, but Knoppix didn't. Then I ran Windows's fdisk, erased all partitions and reinstalled Windows. Afterwards, I tried to install Knoppix, obtaining the same error message. I also tried with Linux's fdisk. Then, I decided to use cfdisk to create all partitions. But when I try to write the partition table the system crashes and no operation is performed, although the HDD Led keep turned on.

Thanks for your help!

mzilikazi
08-31-2004, 03:18 AM
When you muck about with the partition table like that and do several formats w/ different file systems the hard drive tends to get a little wonky. Sounds like it's time to wipe that drive clean! Boot Knoppix and get root:

cat /dev/zero > /dev/hda

Now let me say that you absolutely do NOT want to do this on the wrong drive. Sit back for a while and let it write zeros to the entire drive. It will finish w/ an 'out of diskspace' error. This will take a long, long, long (as in many hours!) time especially on a large drive.

sergioroa
08-31-2004, 10:31 PM
cat /dev/zero > /dev/hda

The system crashes when using this command. Is it normal? The command seems to do nothing, although the HDD led is still turned on.

sergioroa
08-31-2004, 11:49 PM
Well, I have done some other things. I have used Gentoo LiveCD and I could finally use the command:
cat /dev/zero > /dev/hda
properly, until the error mentioned above by mzilikazi appeared. Then, I executed the fdisk utility and created all partitions succesfully. Then, I started the Knoppix CD and, again, the cfdisk and fdisk utilities don't show any partition!. In particular, fdisk behaves differently than the Gentoo's fdisk. After loading the utility, in Knoppix is shown the following message:

fdisk /dev/hda
Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF disklabel
Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,
until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous
content won't be recoverable

At this time, no partition is shown by the fdisk utility in Knoppix. It seems to be a bug in Knoppix partition utilities, isn't it? Should I download the last Knoppix?

Thanks in advance.

user unknown
08-31-2004, 11:58 PM
while mzilikazi often gives good advices, this one isn't.

sergioroa started experiments after the patition-table wasn't found.

And doing several formats with different filesystems is what fdisk was made for.
And it works well in most cases.

Perhaps revisiting the bios-settings for the drive can help - writing 0s to /dev/something, when the partitiontable is broken is ...

sergioroa: Did you write the partitions with 'w' when using fdisk?
Don't guess fast about bugs! These guesses are wrong in 99% of the cases.

mzilikazi
09-01-2004, 12:46 AM
fdisk /dev/hda
Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF disklabel
Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,
until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous
content won't be recoverable

At this time, no partition is shown by the fdisk utility in Knoppix. It seems to be a bug in Knoppix partition utilities, isn't it? Should I download the last Knoppix?

Thanks in advance.

After creating the partitions did you 'write' the partition table to disc? Fdisk says there is no partition table. cfdisk will ask if you would like to start with an empty table. You must be sure to [write] the partition table to disc or it will not be seen.

mzilikazi
09-01-2004, 12:49 AM
while mzilikazi often gives good advices, this one isn't.

sergioroa started experiments after the patition-table wasn't found.

And doing several formats with different filesystems is what fdisk was made for.
And it works well in most cases.

Yes but he used both DOS fdisk, Linux fdisk, M$ file systems, Linux filesystems and several partition tables. There is no harm done when zeroing a drive so I fail to see how this is 'bad advice'

True the problem may lie elsewhere but again, there was no harm done to the drive by zeroing it.

user unknown
09-01-2004, 02:36 AM
Your advice isn't to keep different filesystems - i.e. windows and linux - allways on different physical drives?
I had ntfs, vfat, linux, linux-swap partitions on the same drive.
And ext2 and reiserfs filesystems on the linux-partitions.

Again - what's the problem with different filesystems?

And I often used different partition-tools - made the linux-partitions with a linux-tool and windows-partitions with their tool. (Today only with the linux tool).
But it shouldn't be a problem too.

Doing no harm is a bad excuse.
You could as well give advice to reboot the system 9 times.
Will do no harm too.

But it will cost time, and give a wrong impression of what is happening/ should be happening/ might be the cause of the error.

And I never wipe a drive clean, before repartitioning.
Because it's not needed.
It's senseless.

mzilikazi
09-01-2004, 03:28 AM
Your advice isn't to keep different filesystems - i.e. windows and linux - allways on different physical drives?

That's not at all what I'm suggesting. :) I say that when you make multiple partition table changes and multiple formats with different tools you can casue problems that can only be fixed by starting with a clean drive.

Doing no harm is a bad excuse.
You could as well give advice to reboot the system 9 times.
Will do no harm too.

But it will cost time, and give a wrong impression of what is happening/ should be happening/ might be the cause of the error.

On the contrary, we have just eliminated the first potential problem. ;) Now we know that we have started w/ a clean drive.

And I never wipe a drive clean, before repartitioning.
Because it's not needed.
It's senseless.

Well I install an OS at least 3 times a week (no not on the same box). Trust me friend sometimes it's the only way. Also if it were not necessary to wipe a drive from time to time then why do such tools exist? Commercially even! I see you agree on using windows tools for windows partitions.

If you believe that reformatting a partition wipes away everything that was previously on that partition then you are sadly mistaken because it does not.

sergioroa
09-01-2004, 04:43 AM
After creating the partitions did you 'write' the partition table to disc? Fdisk says there is no partition table. cfdisk will ask if you would like to start with an empty table. You must be sure to [write] the partition table to disc or it will not be seen.

Of course! In fact, when I try to write the partition table using Knoppix, the system crashes. When I write the partition table using Gentoo, all goes well. I restart the computer using Gentoo and I see the partitions. Then, I restart the PC using Knoppix and I don't see anything.

user unknown
09-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Also if it were not necessary to wipe a drive from time to time then why do such tools exist? Commercially even! I see you agree on using windows tools for windows partitions.

If you believe that reformatting a partition wipes away everything that was previously on that partition then you are sadly mistaken because it does not.

I don't believe that reformatting a partition wipes it, and I don't believe in horoskops, the magic power of semi-precious stones, of cruzifixes and and antibacterial cleaning agents - commercially even!
You may need to wipe data away, when you sell your old harddrive and keep your data secret.
Contrawise! You see the tools don't wipe the data, so that's an indicator, that you don't need it.
But if you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I stoped using windows-tools for windows partitions, because my linux-tools work.

sergioroa: Do you have SATA or RAID?
I found a similar problem here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201411

sergioroa
09-01-2004, 02:54 PM
sergioroa: Do you have SATA or RAID?
I found a similar problem here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201411
I do not have SATA or RAID. Only a standard IDE drive.

mzilikazi
09-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Of course! In fact, when I try to write the partition table using Knoppix, the system crashes. When I write the partition table using Gentoo, all goes well. I restart the computer using Gentoo and I see the partitions. Then, I restart the PC using Knoppix and I don't see anything.

OK sorry but I wanted to be certain. :) Sure is a strange problem. The only thing I can think of is perhaps a faulty Knoppix cd. Did you check the md5sum before burning it? How about using the testcd cheatcode? Personally I would try another version of Knoppix although I must say I have heard of no other problems like yours w/ any version of Knoppix.

sergioroa
09-02-2004, 05:03 AM
OK sorry but I wanted to be certain. :) Sure is a strange problem. The only thing I can think of is perhaps a faulty Knoppix cd. Did you check the md5sum before burning it? How about using the testcd cheatcode? Personally I would try another version of Knoppix although I must say I have heard of no other problems like yours w/ any version of Knoppix.

Yes, but it is more strange because I use the same CD in other PCs, and those partition information is correctly shown. I am downloading Knoppix 3.6 now. :)

sergioroa
09-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Finally, I have used Knoppix 3.6 Live CD and now the partitions are shown :D

sergioroa
09-04-2004, 01:52 AM
Finally, I have used Knoppix 3.6 Live CD and now the partitions are shown :D

Well, now I have a clue about the problem. The partition configuration program QtParted shows the following message:

Partition table on /dev/hda is inconsistent. The most likely reason, among others, is that Linux detected the BIOS geometry for /dev/hda incorrectly. GNU Parted suspects the real geometry should be 1027/255/63 (not 16383/16/63). You should check your BIOS first. As this may not be correct, You can inform Linux by adding the parameter hda=1027,255,63 to the command line.

I was a bit curious and I started the Knoppix CD 3.3 using this parameter at the LILO prompt without success. I have installed Knoppix 3.6 but now I have a kernel panic :(
[/list]

user unknown
09-05-2004, 01:52 AM
I thought it depended on the bios-settings and told you so - but don't have a deeper knowledge to help you out.

But why don't you use the live-cd to partition your drive?