PDA

View Full Version : How to make apache 1.3 automatically start at boot?

Zero_1984
08-31-2004, 02:26 PM
hey all..

sorry if this question has been repeated over and over, but how do i get my apache server on knoppix 3.6 to start automatically when i boot up my machine?

i know knoppix comes with it pre-installed, but i uninstalled it using apt get remove apache as a book i had told me to reinstall it myself.. hmm bad idea? so i went to use apt get install apache and it said its not tehre... so i downloaded the source file and compiled it/installed it again

and now its running.. but i have to start it manually.. how do i make apache just start when i boot up? im guessing it would have to do with some kind of init or rc.d file or something?

metzelplik
08-31-2004, 05:50 PM
You have several options, but the one I recommend is putting an S* link (start file) in the

/etc/rc#.d/

directory. The # is for the run level that you have your system start from in inittab.

The S* file, mean S55apache (for example). The number after the S is the order where you want the apache server to start. You will need to place it after networking.

You can create a script to start it, or probably get away with a softlink to the executable with the start option.

Good luck.

Metzelplik

baldyeti
08-31-2004, 06:33 PM
The above can easily be accomplished with "sudo update-rc.d apache defaults". KDE also has a graphical tool '"SysV init" or somesuch) which allows you to control which services are started at bootup.

jpiranha
09-27-2004, 05:10 AM
i used tge "sudo update-rc.d apache defaults" method outlined below to get my apache 1.3 to boot (on knoppix 3.4), but i get an error at boot saying that DocumentRoot must be a directory. The document root is currently set to "/mnt/hdb1/serveroot," which is a valid directory on, as one might deduce, another disk. how do i fix this?

shah
09-27-2004, 06:09 AM
jpiranha
You need to mount /dev/hdb1 first before you run apache.
You might want to enable automount for your system.
:D :D

jpiranha
09-28-2004, 01:22 AM
Hi all,

I've got apache to start at boot, with automount set up as well, but when apache tries to load, i get the following error:

[warn] module ssl_module is already loaded, skipping

...and then it dies. I also get the same error message if i try to start apache via Konsole. Any ideas? Is there something I can do in some other boot file to get ssl_module NOT to load? Or maybe this error was fixed in apache 2.0?

shah
09-28-2004, 04:57 AM
Check in /var/log/apache/error.log
What did it says?
:D