PDA

View Full Version : Using Knoppix for Recovery and the iPod...

PatrickH
08-31-2004, 05:26 PM
My computer recentely crashed and refused to boot windows. I had to do a reinstall using home as appose to Pro ( Don't ask why... :? ).

My slave disk wouldn't recognise in XP Home, and someone recommended Knoppix, as it could read XP Pro created dynamic disks. Well it works fine :)

I couldn't manage to copy across from the slave to the primary, not sure why, I think It's because you can't write to NTFS though Knoppix. That wasn't really a problem, as I made a CD of all the important files I had on there, and subsequently put them onto my primary drive though windows.

The main problem I'm having is thinking of a way to transfer the 30 gigs or so of music I have on there... :? I have no DVD Burner, so making 40 or so CD's seems a little extravagant...(I could just use one CDRW 40 times, but still the process would take forever.)

I just recentely bought a iPod, and annoyingly enough my PC crashed before I could get the music onto it. So My question is, can I use my iPod as removable storage thorugh Knoppix using USB? It didn't seem to be mounted on the desktop ( Like I hoped it would) when i started it up with it connected. Is there any way I can make it recognise the iPod?

Oh and any general ideas/insults about what I'm doing wrong or If I'm going about it the wrong way would be great!

Thanks

Patrick

EDIT:

My Specs are

AMD 2400+
1 Gig of PC2100
Samsung CDrw/DVD Combo Drive
1x 20 gig Maxtor HDD (primary)
1x 80 gig WD HDD (Slave)

My thoughts are, once I have all my music on my ipod, I can reformat the drive and put the music from the iPOd back on to the newly formatted drive.

tcollinson
08-31-2004, 09:40 PM
There was another post similar to this a few days back which I found for you that you might want to read. It pertained to cloning an entire HD locally, but it should be able to be used for just a directory or just a file. Read about it http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12981&highlight=local%2A there. I think you can change the hda to hda/somedirectory/somesubdir/someothersubdir/so.on. And copy from one to the other. Anyway hope this helps. If not good luck.

PatrickH
09-01-2004, 12:04 AM
thanks for the reply, unfortunately I don't understand the knoppix interface at all, so I wouldn't know how to do that... I guess I should read the faq.. :?

tcollinson
09-01-2004, 07:51 PM
Generally it is better to not mess with things if you don't know how to do them. I would suggest that even if you do learn how to use the technique I posted you first make some really nice backups of all your essensial data on your main HD.