PDA

View Full Version : Linux-Compatible Modem

Kowood
09-01-2004, 03:50 AM
I'm getting frustrated with the whole WinModem thing, and I'm thinking of buying a real external modem. What kinds are linux-compatible? Are they fairly cheap? I'm looking for something <$25

Markus
09-01-2004, 08:04 AM
I bought an internal hardware modem a few years ago, so they do exist, but I had a hard time finding one.
Rule of thumb is that external serial port modems work, but watch out with USB ones as they are often winmodems.
Sorry, don't know about prices, but you should be able to find a used serial one almost anywhere.

Cuddles
09-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Kowood,

I agree with your frustration, I dealt with it, a way back, and finally did the same deal... Buy an external...

My "old" system had the "motherboard" mounted modem, definately a WinModem...

I tried the USB external first, bad choice... Even though the packaging said nothing about it being a WinModem, it was... A quick return trip to the Computer Store to swap that USB for a STANDARD SERIEL MODEM, fixed the job...

I ended up with a nice, Fax / Data modem, using the nine pin seriel cable connection... My suggestion is to "look" at every detail on the box, read everything, make sure it doesn't have anything saying that it has "software" or "hardware" support needed through Windows... read: WinModem - if it needs Windows to work, then it has to be a WinModem. Seriel modems ( most ) are NOT WinModems.

If you opt for a USB modem, I find the "small" ones to be WinModems, they won't have that much "hardware", thus, the hardware comes from Windows. Advertisers don't say on the package any more if they are WinModems or not, so it can be a little tricky with a USB modem. If you do get a WinModem, you may be able to get support drivers for it, if it is a popular model / brand / manufacturer, but, I tend to think you will be doing a lot of "searching", if you want to go with a WinModem. Best bet, go with a nice seriel...

Just my two cents worth,
Ms. Cuddles

Kowood
09-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks, I've also found that at some sites that sell computer hardware, people will post reviews telling whether or not something works with Linux.