PDA

View Full Version : After install 3.4 in HDD, some problems to ask..

Sirius78
09-01-2004, 12:57 PM
After install 3.4 in HDD, I am facing some problems...

- How to access CDROM? the CDROM link on my desktop is linking to "/mnt/cdrom" which link to "/mnt/auto/cdrom", but "/mnt/auto/cdrom" does not exist.

- I deleted the default user which knoppix created for me and re-create another. After that I edit the ".bashrc" file in my $HOME with the following item:
alias ll='ls -l --color=auto'

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

.... but it looked like didn't exec this file at all...., i type #env at console i still get
LANG=C and my "ll" give me bad command.

May I know what's wrong with it?

Thank you

baldyeti
09-01-2004, 02:07 PM
"man bash" will explain the difference between .bashrc and .bash_profile. Most likely you want locale settings to apply system-wide, so you should set them in /etc/environment, then reboot. Plus, all prgrams started from the GUI inherit KDE's LANG et all settings, so you need to verify those as well.

PS: that's for a debian-style install. If you've got a beginner/knoppix install and a lang-XXX cheatcode active, I am not sure it will override /etc/environment

Sirius78
09-05-2004, 06:18 PM
1) I created a '.bashrc' file some setting (e.g. export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8, alias ll='ls -l --color=auto' ..etc),
- If I login into ICEWM, my xterm work file. #echo $LC_ALL will show 'en_US.UTF-8'
- If I use ctrl+alt+F2, login into console mode, everthing is fine also
- If I login into KDE, everything gone, even getting a "ll: command not found" ....

mean only KDE replaced my setting ... :-( any idea how to deal with KDE ?

PS: I found that knoppix (hdd install version) will replace these file once it reboot,
-/etc/sysconfig/i18n
-/etc/sysconfig/keyboard
-/etc/sysconfig/knoppix