PDA

View Full Version : Add Webmin

12-19-2002, 11:54 AM
Webmin is an ecellent system & software configuration tool. It is more usefull than all the games included in Knoppix.

Tuxtaxdani
12-24-2002, 02:39 AM
It's very usefull. An excellent tool.

A. Jorge Garcia
12-24-2002, 05:32 PM
Why is it useful, what does it do?

Thanx,

spreadthecream
01-05-2003, 12:51 AM
Webmin is a remote access config system.

If you leave your pc on all the time (in such scenarios as a webserver) you can configure the system remotely.
You login (with one of the system's usernames and passwords) then you can configure the entire system. You can access everything, lilo config to cronjobs to server setup.

However, webmin would be useless on a knoppix system.

1) knoppix doesn't have proper users and anyone could access the system.

2) three quarters of all the options wouldn't help (eg. no lilo, can't reboot because rebooting needs user internvention in knoppix)

really, webmin is a great tool but not realy for knoppix but all to their own. just my 2 cents worth

Flibble
01-05-2003, 12:58 AM
Need such a thing for an knx_hdinstall'ed version I would have thought, but then in such a system there's nothing stopping you adding it yourself. Can't think why you would want a system that stays up for long periods of time running systems requiring configuration whilst running off of a CD.

BTW -> Remote access config system = ssh + vi

;>

spreadthecream
01-05-2003, 01:34 PM
My point exactly, although you said it better than me flibble :lol:

cvevans
07-12-2006, 12:39 AM
Webmin is a remote access config system.

If you leave your pc on all the time (in such scenarios as a webserver) you can configure the system remotely.
You login (with one of the system's usernames and passwords) then you can configure the entire system. You can access everything, lilo config to cronjobs to server setup.

However, webmin would be useless on a knoppix system.

1) knoppix doesn't have proper users and anyone could access the system.

2) three quarters of all the options wouldn't help (eg. no lilo, can't reboot because rebooting needs user internvention in knoppix)

really, webmin is a great tool but not realy for knoppix but all to their own. just my 2 cents worth

I use webmin with Knop4 (persistent root) to run a file server for my Win__ boxen.
super easy setup, good performance.
1. I restrict webmin access to one IP or all of 192._/24 behind the firewall
2. I can set whatever password I want for webmin and it sticks fine.
3. all I need are Samba module and SMART to check the HD weekly.
4. I don't need that much security here; I am serving Windows boxen after all
5. I can leave the server downstairs and still control SAMBA with a GUI from a windows box
6. I could config the firewall on Knoppix if I needed more security