PDA

View Full Version : NX server - anyone got it working?

mbourgon
09-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Trying to get nxserver working, without much luck. I've tried "useradd" to add an account, ran "nxserver --adduser bourgon", and it gave me an error. If I ran it again it worked. Logged in and set the account password, and then did "nxserver --passwd bourgon". I then installed the client on a windows box and tried to connect. No dice. The closest I get is below. A dick-and-jane tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

I also tried running the NX Connection Wizard and Session Administrator but get told that it can't find the file /home/knoppix/.nx/config/nxclient.conf.

I originally had SSH turned on, on the client, but turned it off. Still no worky.

Anyhow, here's the message.

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 1472
NX> 200 Connected to address: 10.81.3.7 on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-01 OS (GPL)
NX> 105 Hello NXCLIENT - Version 1.3.2
NX> 105 SET SHELL_MODE SHELL
NX> 105 SET AUTH_MODE PASSWORD
NX> 105 login
NX> 101 User: bourgon
NX> 102 Password:
NX> 103 Welcome to: Knoppix user: bourgon
NX> 105 startsession --session="test" --type="unix-kde" --cache="8M" --images="32M" --cookie="3c0a37896fcd5234060f39ad87773c31" --link="lan" --backingstore="never" --geometry="fullscreen" --keyboard="us" --kbtype="pc102/us" --media="0" --agent_server="" --agent_user="" --agent_password=""

NX> 204 Authentication failed.
NX> 105

mbourgon
09-01-2004, 04:51 PM
Okay, here's how to do a simple test.
1) Boot Knoppix
2) Knoppix->Services->Start NX Server
3) Start a shell session
4) su
5) nxserver --adduser knoppix
6) nxserver --passwd knoppix
7) change password to "test" or something.
8) Close shell session
9) Log in from NX client on another machine. Username "knoppix", password "test"
10) Enjoy.

pau1knopp
09-01-2004, 05:30 PM
I finally got everything working as described above, except that I had to configure the client for full screen mode. I prefer to work in 800x600 for remote sessions, so it is a minor annoyance. It just would NOT negotiate the session correctly at that resolution, but full screen is dandy. The speed is very similar to Windows Terminal Server on my 100 MB home LAN. I'm liking it...

~pau1

mbourgon
09-01-2004, 08:54 PM
That's odd, I could get it working in 800x600 on mine. (Windows Client)

mzilikazi
09-01-2004, 10:17 PM
I have the NXserver running on a Kanotix box 400Mhz w/128M and the NX client on a win2k box 400Mhz w/ 256M. The server is happy to export KDE but not xfce4. hmmf! We'll work on it. :)

aay
09-02-2004, 03:58 AM
Yep. It's working here. And I must say it's VERY nice. Quite speedy and crisp over my LAN - just as if I were at the computer. I have not tested it over the internet yet.

I do have one problem though. The NX server and client both work fine when I'm using Knoppix disks. I grabbed the .deb that I mentioned here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12900 but all my fonts are gone when things are forwared over to the client. I mean I have no fonts on anything. Not in application menus or anything else. Ideas?

pau1knopp
09-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Okay, here's the current status for me... Using one of two linux clients I am only able to get a full screen session. With a Windows client I am able to get 800x600. Prolly just some tweaking on my end.

Aay, did you remaster using the debian packages noted on the link? I tried remastering KNX 3.4 5-17-04 (which has everything I need other than nxserver). I was able to install the .deb packages with no errors, but when I go to start the service and add users / change passwords using the syntax noted, the process just errors out (can't find config files, etc. wah! ;)

Perhaps this is just going to be suitable for the 3.6 release? Anyone else remastered this onto 3.4?

Thanks in advance,

~pau1

aay
09-10-2004, 02:16 AM
Aay, did you remaster using the debian packages noted on the link? I tried remastering KNX 3.4 5-17-04 (which has everything I need other than nxserver). I was able to install the .deb packages with no errors, but when I go to start the service and add users / change passwords using the syntax noted, the process just errors out (can't find config files, etc. wah! ;)

Perhaps this is just going to be suitable for the 3.6 release? Anyone else remastered this onto 3.4?

Thanks in advance,

~pau1

Well I solved my font problem by changing the fonts in the server machine in kcontrol.

As far as 3.6 goes, I'm sure you know now that both the client and the server are on 3.6.

pau1knopp
09-10-2004, 01:52 PM
yes, I know its on 3.6 and I LOVE it, but (for my purposes) there is so much missing (gaim needs updated, no vncserver) that I would much more prefer to just add this tweak to my 3.4 remaster. KNX 3.4v5-17-4 is pretty much a know stable environment for me. Still evaluating 3.6 before I remaster and go live with it.

Guess I'll just bite the bullet and start remastering 3.6 Course, when I do, usually they have a new maintenance release. ..

Yes, i'll have a little cheese with that ;)

~pau1