PDA

View Full Version : Just one minute of Knoppix

artblanc
03-21-2003, 07:16 PM
Hi, i downloaded Knoppix 3.1 and toasted the CD.
I booted from the CD and i enjoyed it for 2 or 3 hours like a child with a new toy.

The sequence was:
Boot.
Detect Hardware (everything OK)
Create 128 MB of swap.
Started X.
etc...

On the second (and consequent) boot there is no way to start the system. It starts, detects all my hardware but after one minute the screen goes black, the CD stops... and thats all. It seems like it is suspended, but no key awakes the system again. One minute means that sometimes i have time to make a whole boot and sometimes stops before starting the X.

I have tried boot with noapm and other options from the cheats. But nothing...

The real strange thing is... why the first boot worked?

Any idea?

Thanks.

VeeDubb
03-21-2003, 07:24 PM
Try testing the CD. I believe the boot command is "knoppix testcd" It's something allong those lines anyway. This will tell you if there's something wrong with your CD, after that somebody else is going to need to help you because my Linux knowlege is, shall we say, limited....

artblanc
03-21-2003, 07:46 PM
I tested the CD. Everything is OK.
Another curios thing is that it took about 7 minutes to test the CD and it took one minute more to go black. I thought that the problem was in the apm daemon because of the message: "APM BIOS found, power management options enabled" (or something similar), this is done after the test. Thats why i tried to boot with the noapm option. But it continues to happen.

I have tried endless boot options with no result.

I think that the problems is in some daemon that knoppix loads. But i still don't understant why it worked the first time.

rickenbacherus
03-21-2003, 08:07 PM
Have you disabled PnP & APM in the BIOS?

artblanc
03-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Have you disabled PnP & APM in the BIOS?

The APM in the Bios is disabled.

The computer is a laptop. Now i now that when I boot working on bateries the system boots OK. But when the plug is inside the system doesn't boot. If i boot with bateries and then plug the computer everything still works. I will do it that way for now.

Thanks all.

rickenbacherus
03-21-2003, 09:47 PM
If i boot with bateries and then plug the computer everything still works. I will do it that way for now.

Thanks all.

How strange

artblanc
03-21-2003, 10:30 PM
Yes, really strange.

Dave_Bechtel
03-24-2003, 07:47 AM
--Have you tried booting with a framebuffer while plugged in?

boot: ' fb1024x768 '

--What kind of laptop is it, howmuch RAM, video card, etc...

Yes, really strange.

artblanc
03-24-2003, 07:06 PM
Yes, in fact, i can only use frame buffer modes because my graphic card is not detected by the distro.

Laptop(Airis: it's some kind of clone laptop), Pentium 3 Celeron 766Mhz
RAM: 128
Graphic Card: SIS630 (shared memory up to 32)

Dave_Bechtel
03-25-2003, 08:57 AM
--Hmmmmm... If it's a clone, you may have a bozotic BIOS.

Yes, in fact, i can only use frame buffer modes because my graphic card is not detected by the distro.

Laptop(Airis: it's some kind of clone laptop), Pentium 3 Celeron 766Mhz
RAM: 128
Graphic Card: SIS630 (shared memory up to 32)