PDA

View Full Version : Remastering is a breeze, but linking to home...I'm confused?

lcstark
09-02-2004, 02:58 PM
I've remastered Knoppix 3.4 just fine, replaced mozilla with firefox and installed bits of database software, but I'm having a small problem and I must be missing something obvious.

I'm chrooted into my remaster and have installed some software. The software is in /opt/foo and wants to set it's config files in /opt/foo/conf (which is read-only when we're on CD...and no I can't change where it puts it's conf files.) I want to make /opt/foo/conf a symlink to /home/knoppix/conf so I can change the settings at runtime and save them to a persistant flashdrive home, but for the life of me can't see how to do it. Even the venerable RTFM isn't helping...I suppose I could go dig around the scripts, but I'm hoping there's a simple answer.

Anyone?

arkaine23
09-02-2004, 03:59 PM
ln -s /opt/foo/conf /home/knoppix/conf

Later you will remove /home/knoppix, but not before copying the contents to /etc/skel. So you have tow options- edit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and make sure that conf gets copied along with other stuff when /home/knoppix is created from /etc/skel, or write your own startup script to copy /etc/skel/conf to home/knoppix/boot and set it to run in /etc/rc5.d