PDA

View Full Version : Commuter Parallel Port CD-ROM Drive

Scarletdown
09-02-2004, 08:24 PM
I have installed Knoppix (actually Damn Small Linux, a Knoppix variant, but I can't seem to register with the DSL forums so I'm posting here) on an old TI Extensa 450.

My CD-ROM is a Commuter (Datastor) 8x, connected to the parallel port. I can manually load the required modules for it: parport, paride, dstr, and pg, then mount it with mount /dev/pcd0 /cdrom

However, I can't get the modules to load automatically at boot time. I have added them to /etc/modules, but they still don't load. Does Knoppix ignore /etc/modules, or is there some other config file that I have to add them to in addition to /etc/modules?

Scarletdown
09-02-2004, 09:40 PM
It figures that after I posted the above problem, I would find the solution (though had I not posted first, I would have been searching forever, as these things go).

Anyway, the solution proved to be real simple. All I had to do was add the above insmod commands to the knoppix-autoconfig file, and the CD-ROM drivers loaded automatically. While I was at it, I also added the sshd command as well.

Now to see if I can get the mouse working in text mode as well as find a speaker driver so I can play sound files without a sound card (like I have over on the DOS/WfW side of the house...)