PDA

View Full Version : Minimum package list for KNOPPIX?

Steve F
09-04-2004, 03:08 AM
I am working with the latest KNOPPIX 3.6-2004-08-16.

I have a basic remastering setup where I can get the KNOPPIX filesystem into a remaster directory, chroot the remaster and alter the packages, compress the remaster to a bootable partition, boot the remaster from harddrive for testing, create the iso, and write it to CDR. The CDR behaves the same as the HD test boot.

I am trying to get the remaster down to only the packages necessary to hardware detect a large number of different computers and have only the basic configuration tools installed. From there I will add a small number of application packages. I like KNOPPIX because it has module drivers for all the different video and network cards that I need it to run on.

I have been having some problems during removal of packages. I want to remove all packages except those necessary to boot and run as described above. I remove the largest packages and get the size down to 400meg. I remove KDE and the size is around 250meg (I think). I remove optional, development, and doc stuff. Somewhere in there I removed something important to the basic boot process and when I compress a test version it's broken.

I have considered some of the other customizations but the ones I tried didn't have the latest modules and drivers for the latest HW.

So, how does anyone know what the minimum package list is for each KNOPPIX version? I ask this because when the next version of KNOPPIX is released I expect the package list could be slightly different and I won't be able to use my current current package list (assuming I can ever figure that out).

Thanks all,

psirac
09-12-2004, 09:30 PM
you can try to use dsl (damnsmall), 52mo and good HW detection....

Steve F
09-12-2004, 10:52 PM
I did. I doesn't run on my laptop. The network interface isn't there for one of my computers. Generally I've found that knoppix always has the latest s/w releases. I guess that is why all the others are based on knoppix. So, I'm looking for ease of managing reduction of new knoppix releases by learning what the minimum package and s/w list is so I can always 'make' against the latest.

I've though about using DSL to get it's package list and using that against my V3.6. I don't know it the effort will be worth it.