PDA

View Full Version : Printing problem; please help!

benw
09-04-2004, 05:30 AM
Hey everbody.

I installed knoppix a few days ago. When it was running off the CD, my HP PSC 1210 worked fine. However now it's hdinstalled, I can't get it to print.

If I run kconfig and the add printer wizard, when I select the driver, it gives me the message:

Unable to load the requested driver:
Unable to create the Foomatic driver [HP-PSC_1210,hpijs]. Either that driver does not exist, or you don't have the required permissions to perform that operation.

I downloaded and installed the hpijs drivers, now I have the option of "HP PSC1210 hpijs" in the driver box, so I select it and get no errors, however when I click Print a test page, it says it's printed, but the printer doesn't do anything.

I've downloaded and reinstalled the latest version of cups, but it still won't print. I ran usbview, and it shows the printer is hooked up properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rusty
09-04-2004, 06:02 AM
A couple of suggestions:

Make sure cupsd is running. Open a terminal and type: ps -A , if it doesn't show up start it by typing: cupsd.

The PSC 210 sometimes needs to be unplugged, both usb and power to reset itself, I don't know why but I had the same problem. It might be a good idea to completely reboot the system. You should see references to the HP drivers as the booting progresses, or check dmesg output. And try deleting and reinstalling the printer - again - I had to do this but it has worked since.

HTH

benw
09-04-2004, 06:22 AM
Hey,

Fixed it. After try just about everything I found the error log file and found this entry in it:

Can't locate sigtrap.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/per$
/usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1 /usr/share/perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .)
at /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip line 3299.

I googled sigtrap.pm and saved it to my /usr/lib/perl5 directory. It now prints perfectly.

Thanks!