PDA

View Full Version : is knoppix 3.6 dvd available?

fischer1000
09-04-2004, 07:01 AM
Hello,

I could not find download for knoppix 3.6 dvd on knoppix website. Is 3.6 dvd not free to download and distribute?

iso-top.info website is selling knoppix 3.6 dvd. Is this also not available for free download?

I would appreciate if someone could clear my 'confusion' over dvd's of latest knoppix not being available for downloads! I thought Knoppix was GNU/Linux and freely available for downloading and distributing?

If you have information about downloading Knoppix 3.6 DVD from knoppix website or mirrors, please post. I don't mind if it takes a week to download. An official BitTorrent link would help!

I know that knoppix 3.5 LinuxTag dvd was not available for free download and I am not looking for the LinuxTag edition. I am not looking for warez or illegal copies.

Thanks in advance.
Fischer

Fabianx
09-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Hello,

I could not find download for knoppix 3.6 dvd on knoppix website. Is 3.6 dvd not free to download and distribute?

iso-top.info website is selling knoppix 3.6 dvd. Is this also not available for free download?

I would appreciate if someone could clear my 'confusion' over dvd's of latest knoppix not being available for downloads! I thought Knoppix was GNU/Linux and freely available for downloading and distributing?

First of all: There is no Knoppix 3.6 DVD. Knoppix is a brand by Klaus Knopper and he did make no DVD version. Period.

Second: Iso-Top.info is selling and sometimes uploading a Remastered DVD Version of Knoppix. If you buy a DVD there, you pay something for the service of the remastering. Not for the software itself.

So Knoppix indeed is freely available for download and distributing.

Hope that clears it up.

cu

Fabian

drg55
09-25-2004, 11:02 AM
There was a dvd called 3.5. It was given to attendees at Linux tag 2004. It contains 2 gig nearly of knoppix plus talks from the conference and some e books including

Learning Debian GNU/Linux
By Bill McCarty

and

Linux Network Administrator's Guide, 2nd Edition
By Olaf Kirch & Terry Dawson
2nd Edition June 2000

which is prety awesome value as it costs only ten euros. There is also a second dvd included which contains three versions of bsd, but this is mostly in German. Airmail to Australia was only 8 euros.

If you navigate through you can probably work it out.

order from
http://www.ixsoft.de/software/products/LBLT2004DV.html

The knoppix dvd defaults to the German keyboard put the boot option "knoppix lang=us" - you will have to type "knoppix lang)us" capital number 0 is = and captial number 7 is /

Have lots of fun!

David.

drg55
09-25-2004, 11:04 AM
PS, as the dvd contains material other than knoppix which may be copyright (eg the books) out of respect to the authors I would not make copies or put it on the web for download. It is inexpensive and easy enough to buy.

David.