PDA

View Full Version : Programs I kinda Need... does anyone know if they exist?

chris-harry
09-04-2004, 09:29 AM
ok... i just finished installing Knoppix on me computer... at home... in me bedroom... :D:D anyway... loving it... i installed the Debian version because i did... crazy aint I? any way... now that i have done that... i need to know where some programs are which i can load on to it...

I need flash... FLASH AWAY!!!... anyway... I need a program that can make flash things, like Macromedia Flash MX! and does Swift 3D come in a linux version???

I also neeed a program that will alowe me to play me windows games like Half-Life, and run and install some of my old old window games... please help.

firebyrd10
09-04-2004, 05:21 PM
ok... i just finished installing Knoppix on me computer... at home... in me bedroom... :D:D anyway... loving it... i installed the Debian version because i did... crazy aint I? any way... now that i have done that... i need to know where some programs are which i can load on to it...

I need flash... FLASH AWAY!!!... anyway... I need a program that can make flash things, like Macromedia Flash MX! and does Swift 3D come in a linux version???

I also neeed a program that will alowe me to play me windows games like Half-Life, and run and install some of my old old window games... please help.

Congrats, but a word of warning. Because knoppix is based on Sid (the unstable version of debian) chances are you won't be able to upgrade or install alot of programs. You might want to consider installing Sarge (testing version, almost stable) or woody (stable). I like the netinstall verion.

Anyway, I believe there is a port of Half-life to linux (You still need the level, data files.) and wine might be able to run the other games.

To do the netinstall.

go here http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/
and download mini.iso. Burn it and reboot.

You can ignore that it says sarge in the folder. You will be given to the option to install the differnt versions.

user unknown
09-05-2004, 02:42 AM
It would be smart to use meaningful subjects.

chris-harry
09-05-2004, 10:37 AM
It would be smart to use meaningful subjects. but me not that smart...

ohh... by the way... any recomended programs you recomend me to load onto it???

Congrats, but a word of warning. Because knoppix is based on Sid (the unstable version of debian) chances are you won't be able to upgrade or install alot of programs. You might want to consider installing Sarge (testing version, almost stable) or woody (stable). I like the netinstall verion.

Anyway, I believe there is a port of Half-life to linux (You still need the level, data files.) and wine might be able to run the other games.

To do the netinstall.

go here http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/
and download mini.iso. Burn it and reboot.

You can ignore that it says sarge in the folder. You will be given to the option to install the differnt versions. I wish i could download things, but I have the slowest internet acount... dialup... with dodo... the company thats says its internet can fly (more like the bird)...

I got this debian DVD (ooh)... full with alot of packages, and a stable version of Debian 3.0r2. could i use that dvd to install some packages, and update the debian i am using now??? is that possible???

user unknown
09-05-2004, 04:28 PM
but I have the slowest internet acount... dialup... with dodo...

So finding interesting threads by meaningfull subject should be your interest.
Try to use the edit-button.

chris-harry
09-06-2004, 11:27 AM
um... user unknown... am i offending you or something... if i am i am terrible sorry for offending you... and if you want me to change the name of the subject... please tell me a good name to name it... and once again... i am sorry to offend you...

user unknown
09-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Since these are pretty unrelated, 3 Threads could be better:
a) linux-program to create flash
b) Swift 3d for linux
c) how to play half-life on linux

a) no idea
b) what is swift3d? a 3d-modelling software?
Blender is free on linux. But 'Swift3d linux' is a good google-phrase.
c) Wine is a win-emulator.

champagnemojo
09-06-2004, 03:11 PM
No need to apologize. It's no offense...it's just more likely that you will get answers if the subject summarizes what your question is.

Crossover Office (http://www.codeweavers.com/site/products/) says it will run Flash MX. It's not free though. Macromedia is supposedly gonna port Flash MX to linux soon too...but who knows when. :D

Wine is ok for simple windows apps, but I don't know how likely it will be to work with the stuff you're hoping to run on it. WineX runs games I think.

chris-harry
09-13-2004, 11:30 AM
I have Blender... Does it really do vectors? Love it though. I dont know why some people say its hard to use... i dont thing its that hard?

CrashedAgain
09-13-2004, 10:36 PM
[quote]

I got this debian DVD (ooh)... full with alot of packages, and a stable version of Debian 3.0r2. could i use that dvd to install some packages, and update the debian i am using now??? is that possible???

You now have a Debian system (Knoppix) installed on your hard drive. You will be able to install ANY debian application. Get to know how to use dpkg and apt-get which is debian's package installer programs.
You should also be able to install the applications on your debian disk either by cding to the disk then 'dpkg -i <package name>' or by clicking on the package then kpackage should install them. (Kpackage is a 'front-end' which actually uses dpkg to do the install).
However, be aware that these package installers are actually designed to install by downloading over the internet where they have free access to any dependency programs or program updates they may need. If attempting to install an already downloaded package, it doesn't know where to look for dependencies & it may then be unable to do the install.

chris-harry
09-14-2004, 08:14 AM
does anyone have any recomended progames i should use... also... is there a scan disk equivalent in knoppix?

CrashedAgain
09-14-2004, 03:37 PM
does anyone have any recomended progames i should use... also... is there a scan disk equivalent in knoppix?

'scan-disk' eqivalent is probably fsck which Knoppix runs a brief check every boot and athrough one every 30 boots. No worry about it, it's taken care of!

'does anyone have...': this isn't windows, you don't have to exchange pirate programs with other users; all are freely available using apt-get or kpackage.

Open a console, then type 'su' to become root (administrator), then type 'dselect update'. Now go for coffee.
When you come back, your 'sources list' of available programs will be updated.
Now start kpackage. It's under the 'systems' or the 'setting' menu on the start menu (I forget which; I'm not in Linux right now). Set the listing for 'all' and browse around to see what is available & install what you want.

firebyrd10
09-14-2004, 11:46 PM

'scan-disk' eqivalent is probably fsck which Knoppix runs a brief check every boot and athrough one every 30 boots. No worry about it, it's taken care of!

'does anyone have...': this isn't windows, you don't have to exchange pirate programs with other users; all are freely available using apt-get or kpackage.

Open a console, then type 'su' to become root (administrator), then type 'dselect update'. Now go for coffee.
Now start kpackage. It's under the 'systems' or the 'setting' menu on the start menu (I forget which; I'm not in Linux right now). Set the listing for 'all' and browse around to see what is available & install what you want.

I believe you mean to run upgrade before you send him off for coffee.

Update only updates the list of what is avaible. Upgrade, well upgrades the programs.

A. Jorge Garcia
09-15-2004, 12:06 AM
OOO, this mini.iso sounds interesting. How does this work?

TIA,
AJG

CrashedAgain
09-15-2004, 03:24 AM

Update only updates the list of what is avaible. Upgrade, well upgrades the programs.

No, I meant update.
Upgrade will upgrade all EXISTING packages to the latest versions, he is looking for new packages. Update will renew the available package lists so he can see what is available. He has to update the package lists before apt-get will work correctly, some packages may have been moved (from unstable to testing, for example) and apt has to know where they are in order to find them.
Upgrade will probably cause him all kinds of problems, especially if his Knoppix version is old by even a month or two. It will likely need 200+Meg of download (a looooong coffee break) and will ask for replacing a few config files which may cause all kinds of grief if not done correctly (in most cases this means keep the existing config files). It is best avoided until he is more experienced. Individual packages & their dependencies will be upgraded as they are installed.
[/b]

firebyrd10
09-15-2004, 03:43 AM

No, I meant update.
Upgrade will upgrade all EXISTING packages to the latest versions, he is looking for new packages. Update will renew the available package lists so he can see what is available. He has to update the package lists before apt-get will work correctly, some packages may have been moved (from unstable to testing, for example) and apt has to know where they are in order to find them.
Upgrade will probably cause him all kinds of problems, especially if his Knoppix version is old by even a month or two. It will likely need 200+Meg of download (a looooong coffee break) and will ask for replacing a few config files which may cause all kinds of grief if not done correctly (in most cases this means keep the existing config files). It is best avoided until he is more experienced. Individual packages & their dependencies will be upgraded as they are installed.
[/b]
Ok, now I see what you mean.

A. Jorge: Just burn it and reboot like knoppix. It's debian's new installer. Just pick what version to install (stable, testing, unstable) and then where to install. It'll download the core OS then apt-get everything else.

chris-harry
09-15-2004, 08:47 AM
a looooong coffee break so... first send it on an updating round... walk down to the shops (not that far, only 5km). buy some coffy. walk back... have several coffies... play some games... the walk back to computer and check if it has finished... YAY! What fun. :D:D (not being sarcastic)

firebyrd10
09-15-2004, 10:24 PM
a looooong coffee break so... first send it on an updating round... walk down to the shops (not that far, only 5km). buy some coffy. walk back... have several coffies... play some games... the walk back to computer and check if it has finished... YAY! What fun. :D:D (not being sarcastic)

Some times I wish I was as easily amused as you. :lol:

Though I doubt the update will take that long.

Kowood
09-16-2004, 02:09 AM
Yeah. Use Cedega (the new name for winex) I got the debian package off of giFT, or you might be able to find it on Suprnova, or some other bittorrent thing. I had a problem with the Debian package with my fromhd PMI install, because my hard drive isn't writeable. Anybody know how to fix this?

richb
09-16-2004, 03:45 AM

What is the difference between apt-get update and dselect update?

firebyrd10
09-16-2004, 04:15 AM

What is the difference between apt-get update and dselect update?
dselect is a front-end (not just command line, has a GUI)

CrashedAgain
09-16-2004, 05:53 AM
There is more than one package listing database in the system. According to information in another post here, dselect update will keep them in sync, apt-get update doesn't.
dselect is debian's basic text based package selection system. Type dselect in a console to have a look at it. Gui based package selection applications like kpackage & synaptic do the same thing but through a more user friendly front end. Apt-get will install/remove packages but doesn't provide for selecting from a list. All end up using dpkg to do the actual installation and of course you can also use dpkg to directly install or remove packages.

richb
09-16-2004, 12:47 PM
There is more than one package listing database in the system. According to information in another post here, dselect update will keep them in sync, apt-get update doesn't.
dselect is debian's basic text based package selection system. Type dselect in a console to have a look at it. Gui based package selection applications like kpackage & synaptic do the same thing but through a more user friendly front end. Apt-get will install/remove packages but doesn't provide for selecting from a list. All end up using dpkg to do the actual installation and of course you can also use dpkg to directly install or remove packages.

Thanks!