PDA

View Full Version : Where do I locate new programs

teddyballgame20
09-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Let me start by saying that I'm very new at this...This is my first shot at linux so I guess you could say I'm a noob...I just did a HD install of Knoppix and it is the only operating system on the dirve...I just downloaded Firefox and installed it and my question is after I install it how do I find it to use it again...I know in Windows I there would be an icon on the desktop but is there an equivalent to this for linux...I'd appreciate anyones help on this one and if there's a FAQ could someone point me to it

firebyrd10
09-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Let me start by saying that I'm very new at this...This is my first shot at linux so I guess you could say I'm a noob...I just did a HD install of Knoppix and it is the only operating system on the dirve...I just downloaded Firefox and installed it and my question is after I install it how do I find it to use it again...I know in Windows I there would be an icon on the desktop but is there an equivalent to this for linux...I'd appreciate anyones help on this one and if there's a FAQ could someone point me to it
Depends on how you installed it.

If you used apt-get (Or kpackage) then it should be on the menu in its equivilent folder.

BTW knoppix is based on the unstable Cid, you will run into problems while trying to install programs.

Mabye you would like sarge (tesing, about to be stable) or woody (stable).

If so, go here http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/ and download mini.iso, burn it, reboot.

mzilikazi
09-04-2004, 08:34 PM

If you downloaded the tarball then presumably you stored it in your /home/username directory. SO...you probably have a firefox-installer directory and inside there is the executable called 'firefox'.

If you issue:

/home/username/firefox-installer/firefox

that should launch firefox. You should be able to drag and drop a shortcut onto the desktop if you open that directory w/ Konqueror.

teddyballgame20
09-04-2004, 08:56 PM
hey firebyrd10 I downloaded mini.iso burned it and rebooted and now when I boot up and login all i get is a prompt...where is the GUI for what I installed??? What else do I need to do to get this working?

firebyrd10
09-04-2004, 09:19 PM
hey firebyrd10 I downloaded mini.iso burned it and rebooted and now when I boot up and login all i get is a prompt...where is the GUI for what I installed??? What else do I need to do to get this working?
That mini.iso was for if you wanted to install sarge or woody, if you don't then try following mzilikazi's instructions.

If you do want to install sarge/woody just hit enter at the prompt.

teddyballgame20
09-04-2004, 09:38 PM
I apologize if I'm bugging you but I installed whatever I burned from that mini.iso and now when I boot up I can log in then it goes to a prompt that says this:

brian@debian:`$

I don't know what to do at this point...Again I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm stuck right now

firebyrd10
09-05-2004, 06:09 AM
I apologize if I'm bugging you but I installed whatever I burned from that mini.iso and now when I boot up I can log in then it goes to a prompt that says this:

brian@debian:`$

I don't know what to do at this point...Again I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm stuck right now

Did it lead you through an install?

You should have been able to pick if you want a desktop enviroment.

(I assume that you want a more stable version if you did this.)