PDA

View Full Version : suddenly kppp unable to open modem

justin
09-04-2004, 05:04 PM
have i been hacked?

been using a hdd install of knoppix for a few months now- everything has been great, then suddenly yesterday kppp is 'unable to open modem'. (external us robotics- ttyS0)

i logged in as root and it works, but still won't work as user. query modem = unable to open modem as well

thinking it may be a user config file, i made a new user- same prob.

any ideas on how this could happen out of the blue? i was not installing or upgrading anything, it just stopped working.

is there a way a hacker could turn off serial port access to users or something like that?

peace now

nishtya
09-10-2004, 05:12 AM
not likely you were hacked. Some update or another did that to me the other day. It was a return to the problem I had originally with this install of kanotix. Likely /dev/ ttyS01 through 3 (note case) have had their permissions changed to forbidden. My "fix" was probably overkill, but I set it back to the way it used to be, read & write for Root and Group (dialout). I don't know how root got the modem when it was forbidden, though. So there must be another way - but this worked for me.

plener
12-19-2004, 02:34 PM
same thing happended to me--working fine now only root can open modem

how did you fix it?

ran pppconfig
tp find modem
kpp config is ok

pon connects as user ( do not know what to do once pon conntects--mozilla does not seem to know there is a connection)

this is a major problem for me

franz29
12-19-2004, 06:37 PM
after connectrion try

sudo /etc/init.d/bind9 restart

plener
12-19-2004, 08:49 PM
found out problem

somehow de/ttys0 had permission changed to forbiden

changed user/group to read and write

everything now ok

thanks
peter

plener
12-20-2004, 08:59 AM
happened again tody
something is changing permissions /dev/ttys0 to forbidden
any ideas?

no problem for me but when i am not at home users will have a problem

thinking of writting a script on login to automatically change permissions of /dev/ttys0 to all r/w
as fix

krjimh
06-05-2005, 02:12 AM
Hi
I hadve a similar problem, thunder lightening and a power cut meant no internet next time I tried. Have I fried the modem? Dynalink internal hardware.

No it worked from root but nowhere else.

Nothing has changed as far as I can see but the reply above caused me to check the file /dev/tty2 and I find it is in the group tty not dialout? So I presume I have to add my users to group tty. Very strange.

Any ideas why this would have happened.

BTW It's a Knoppix 3.3 Hd install on a P3. dialup modem.

Cheers

Jim

plener
06-08-2005, 01:26 PM
deleted appropriate lock files in /var/lock

hth

peter