PDA

View Full Version : FAT32 partition dissapeared??

country.hacker
09-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Hey everybody,

I just installed knoppix on our home machine and am converting the family over from the 'dark side' of XP. ;-) I had the partition table set up like this:

HDA1 -- WinXP -- FAT32
HDA2 -- Personal files/folders -- FAT32
HDB1 -- Red Hat 8.0 -- EXT2
HDC1 -- Knoppix -- EXT3

Now when I'm booted into WinXP I can't see HDA2.. I can access it from knoppix, but it doesn't even show when you're booted into XP. I even tried a Windows Emergency Repair Disk, it couldn't see it either. I'd just copy all the files over to HDA1, but there's not enough free space. Any ideas??? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Rory

robwelch100
09-05-2004, 02:33 AM
it sounds like windows has turned on active partition hiding. Check to see if both hda partitions are set as primary partitions. Also see if hda2 is listed as hidden. if so then hda2 has been hidden by windows. You can try to unhide it and reboot. If windows rehides the partition You can change this by changing hda2 to a logical or extended partition (make sure it is not hidden still). Then reboot and windows should be able to recognize it. you may want to back the info up using knoppix first before messing with the hda2 partition.

country.hacker
09-05-2004, 04:23 PM
All right, that did it! Thanks very much for your help! I used QTParted and 'unhid' HDA2 and rebooted, that cleared up the problem. Thanks again!

Rory