PDA

View Full Version : important question (boot)

tfwarlord
09-04-2004, 11:43 PM
i have an important question, about boot.
can knoppix (installed) run side by side with windows xp? (i mean with the menu were i can choose which os i wanne start up, which windows xp can have with some os, like windows me, and xandros) or will it overwrite the boots files so it will only bootup knoppix and the old windows xp bootup file will be destoyed????
agian this is when knoppix have been installed, not cd-boot

robwelch100
09-05-2004, 02:25 AM
Yes you can dual boot xp and knoppix. Xandros and knoppix both use lilo. I am not sure what you mean about Me and Xandros. If all you have is xp you can install knoppix and load lilo to the mbr, it will allow you boot xp or knoppix. If you already have a dual boot system you can run the knoppix-installer and choose to install lilo to the partition you are installing knoppix on, not the mbr. This keeps the install from touching the mbr. If you choose to install lilo to the partition instead of the mbr and you only have xp on your machine, you may want to use a third party bootloader. I don't know IF or how you can change the windows xp boot loader to give you the option of loading linux.