PDA

View Full Version : Unmounting Knoppix CD with TORAM

drmarathe
09-05-2004, 12:09 AM
In my Toshiba Notebook I have only one CD Writer :) And I have no Hard disk. The disk controller having crashed. Is there any way of using Knoppix so that after starting Knoppix, I can umount the CD and then play music CDs or Video CDs? I have lots of RAM i.e. 256 MB

I tried Toram option. But it doesn't let me eject CD.

Secondly is there any way to login as Root under KDE. I am having problems accessing data from my Jetflas Stick, if I am not root.

Thanks

mzilikazi
09-05-2004, 02:16 AM
In my Toshiba Notebook I have only one CD Writer :) And I have no Hard disk. The disk controller having crashed. Is there any way of using Knoppix so that after starting Knoppix, I can umount the CD and then play music CDs or Video CDs? I have lots of RAM i.e. 256 MB

I tried Toram option. But it doesn't let me eject CD.

You would need 1G of system RAM to use the toram cheatcode. A 500MB .iso would only require 768M of RAM. Perhaps a smaller .iso would even boot toram w/ less system RAM. I have heard of other distros that allow you to eject the cd after boot but do not recall what they are.

Secondly is there any way to login as Root under KDE. I am having problems accessing data from my Jetflas Stick, if I am not root.

Thanks

Simply open a terminal and issue su and you are root. Then you can launch anything you like as root. To launch Konqueror: konqueror &

Another option would be:
init 3
startx

That *should* start an entire X session as root. I do not have a Knoppix disc handy at this moment to confirm and I am not overly familiar with KDE so perhaps it may not work this way.

Although this is generally considered a bad idea (running X as root or logging in as root) I do understand that your disc controller is not functional so in your case I suppose that no harm can really be done to your laptop. Be careful if you are on a network! :)