PDA

View Full Version : your Linux knowledge

TheK
03-22-2003, 01:59 AM
I want to know, what YOU knew about Linux before starting with Knoppix.

Henk Poley
03-22-2003, 05:33 PM
I want to know, what YOU knew about Linux before starting with Knoppix.I think it would help if you could actually vote :roll:

Alextreme
03-22-2003, 08:20 PM
Don't know why, aay or eadz? noticed this with earlier polls, maybe a bug?

TheK
03-23-2003, 12:30 AM
somehow sometimes it seams to work - or why are there 2 votes?

god
03-23-2003, 02:16 AM
not working for me either...

eadz
03-23-2003, 04:11 AM
ok try again..

Bobmeister
03-24-2003, 02:25 PM
Well, I have NO Linux experience, but I'm just gettin started. I am having fun with the application included with Knoppix 3.1...waiting for them to fix the language problems in 3.2. My problem, and I will work on another thread for this, is that my Broadcom Ethernet will not work. Network works fine with my wife's older computer...so I'm guessing it's just time before they include this one in the hardware profile.

I am willing to learn so I'll keep reading. I have a hard drive laying around just ready for a "real" Linux installation sometime soon!

jim1987a
03-29-2003, 05:48 PM
There should have been another option. I have worked with linux before but Knoppix is not just another version. I'm very excited by Knoppix and so far love everything I've seen.

m0rpheus
03-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Knoppix is a great little distro, I've used it to show people who weren't so sure about switching over to Linux because they weren't so sure if it was worth it and nearly all of them have...plus its really good if you can't get into the distro thats loaded on the HD you can edit the scripts in knoppix...many possiblities overall great distro..

Wirf
04-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Before starting with Knoppix is was allready a Linux developer (but you can't find anything i made on the internet because it is either useless stuf or utter crap ;) )

I've worked on several linux programs (in C/C++/shellscript/perl/php/prolog/haskell/java...)
Did a few kernel patches, made one complete module (all the kernel stuff is completely useless to anyone else but me)
I've used Slackware, Redhat, Debian, Stampede, SUSE, Knoppix and home-brew distro's
Have been using Linux for work for several years right now

So i guess i should vote on the "I'm a developer!" option then eh? ;)

Oh, I think Knoppix is the best thing since sliced bread! Everyone I know is instantly amazed by the easy-of-use and power of it. I am giving out copies to everyone even remotely interrested :)

Tiger
04-06-2003, 11:24 PM
I've been using Linux since RH 5.2 on an old 486DX4/100.
Currently I run Gentoo, FreeBSD 5.0, and soon to be Knoppix.
I tried Debian but didn't like the out of date software and having to run "unstable" to have anything current.

Henk Poley
04-07-2003, 07:19 AM
I tried Debian but didn't like the out of date software and having to run "unstable" to have anything current.
Yes it's nice that Knoppix has all handy stable "unstable" stuff onboard :-)