PDA

View Full Version : need to stop a module from loading using a text editor?????

voldemort
09-05-2004, 06:43 PM
knoppix 3.6
hd install on laptop
ibm r40 laptop
hda1 win98 (for bochs and wine)
hda2 swap
hda3 knoppix

running synaptic (graphifc front end for apt)
and was updating system and saw there were new knoppix modules so without paying enough attention (the cause of 1/2 my problems) i installed cloop for knoppix without realizing but i figured it out real quick when the system triesd to load itself into ram on a reboot....

hmmm 5 gb install into 512 mb ramm yup didnt exaclty work....

so i removed any reference of cloop under mtab and fstab

checked my lilo conf and looked god ( did all this from the cdrom---/mnt/hda3/etc.....

and removed kloop.ko from lib modules folders but still havnt slain the beast any ideas would be apreciated but i need to do it without the system loaded since thats the root of my problems otherwise id just uninstall cloop or use webmin or debconf etc to disable

thanks much

ghaze
09-05-2004, 08:30 PM
In /etc/modprobe.conf add this line:
alias cloop off
It's what I'd try first.
Good Luck

voldemort
09-06-2004, 12:15 AM
thanks for the suggestion didnt find it any where under modules.conf but renamed modules.conf.old to modules .conf to see if it would fix prob no go
still stumped where its loading from???

ghaze
09-06-2004, 01:58 AM
thanks for the suggestion didnt find it any where under modules.conf but renamed modules.conf.old to modules .conf to see if it would fix prob no go
still stumped where its loading from???
You need to add this line to /etc/modprobe.conf,not /etc/modules.conf unless you are still using the 2.4 kernel.If you are using 2.4,add it to /etc/modules.conf.

alias cloop off

markn1ugm
09-06-2004, 08:13 AM
I have also been lookingto do something like this. I have searched and have not found modprobe.conf in /etc or anywhere else. I am using Knoppix 3.4 with 2.6 kernel. But there is a modules.conf, can this be used where the other file isn't there?

ghaze
09-06-2004, 11:05 AM
I have also been lookingto do something like this. I have searched and have not found modprobe.conf in /etc or anywhere else. I am using Knoppix 3.4 with 2.6 kernel. But there is a modules.conf, can this be used where the other file isn't there?
I don't know what your setup is,but I think you're probably running a 2.4 kernel,in which case the file you want is /etc/modules.conf.If you are running a 2.6 kernel,you should have an /etc/modprobe.conf.

uname -a

will tell you what kernel you have.

To quote the man page of modules.conf

Note that the line:

alias some_module off

will make modprobe ignore requests to load that module.

I haven't had to prevent cloop from loading,yet,but I have used this to prevent other modules from loading.

YMMV

markn1ugm
09-06-2004, 11:36 AM
I just double-checked using uname -a and I'm running kernel 2.6.6 and double-checked and no /etc/modprobe.conf just /etc/modules.conf.

uname -a
Linux laptop 2.6.6 #2 SMP Fri May 14 20:38:30 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

Well it may not matter too much, it's more like there's a few modules I'd like to stop loading but right now my laptop is running ok so I probably shouldn't complain :)