PDA

View Full Version : KERNEL PANIC!!

tzulberti
09-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Hi. I have installed Knoppix 3.6, I it appears to me the message that the installation was completed. When I restarted the computer, and form the lilo I choose any of the three options of knoppix (it only changes the kernel), it runs until the following message appears
#Lots of other things
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesysten on dev 03:03
UMOUNT: devfs: not mounted
Pivot_root: not such file or directory
/sbin_init: 426: cannot open directory dev/console: No such file.
Kernel PANIC. attemetd to kill init!.
#End of erros

After that the computer hangs up, and the CaspLock and ScrollLock ligths start to turn on and off (constantly).
I have installed three times (choosing the differents options). I have tried the three diferents options that the lilo give me. But the same thing happens always (even if i tried to load it from a floppy disk).

shah
09-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Man....you need to reinstall.

tzulberti
09-06-2004, 08:39 PM
I hace already reinstalled 3 times.

shah
09-07-2004, 02:23 AM
I think there is something wrong with your /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab. If you could just post those two here, I might be able to help you. :D

tzulberti
09-07-2004, 03:43 PM
I am sure that there is a problem with the partitions on my disk. There are four partitions:
hda1) Vfat
hda5) Vfat extended
hda3) Ext2 or ext3 (i can not remebre which one)
hda4) Swap

But the knoppix does not detect me the vfat extended. I can mount the others partitions without any problem. The gtparted detects the hda5 partitions, but /proc/partitions don't. I don't know how, once (and only once) I was able to mount hda5 (which usually it does not appears in fstab). :?:

There is a strange thing: the vfat partitions are hda1 or hda5 then, why does the knoppix (when loading the installed one), tries to open hda3 as a vfat? :shock: [first error]

Thanks

shah
09-08-2004, 02:13 AM
Check your /etc/mtab.