PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Brand Network Card (figures :)

SCribbl3r
09-06-2004, 01:19 AM
Hello everyone, I'm a Knoppix newbie, so I need some help here. I booted up Knoppix for the first time off my CD, and everything was auto-detected except my MN-130 Microsoft brand PCI ethernet card.

I ran a program (whose name escapes me) that you use to install devices by picking the driver by hand from a library on the CD, but I couldn't find a driver for my card.

I was just wondering if anyone could just point me in the right direction with this. I also have a D-Link DI-624 router connected to this ethernet card if that helps.

Thanks for reading!

Harry Kuhman
09-06-2004, 01:37 AM
You summed it up yourself with "figures". I thought perhaps this was a wireless PCI card, but checked and it's a normal wired 10/100 nic. It's certainly unusual for Knoppix to not support a wired NIC, but not much of a shock considering the source. I've posted some other threads here that show wired NICs stop working under Knoppix (even though they did work before) after running Microsoft "security updates", so it should be no shock that they would do all they could to their own hardware to make sure it doesn't work with the open source OS they fear.

Fortunately, NICs are cheap. My last few were free; you can get one for $2.99 after rebate this week at CompUSA. I've seem many on-line retailers selling them for under $5 with no rebate to fool with. Do yourself a favor and avoid the Microsoft hardware.

SCribbl3r
09-06-2004, 02:00 AM
Ok, thanks for the help. Luckily I have an old Etherlink III card which I saw drivers for on the CD, I was just hoping for an easier solution than opening up the case and such.