PDA

View Full Version : Root Console prob

fishjg
09-06-2004, 05:17 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to install Linux onto a hard disk. When i get into the root console i do/get the following:

root@ttyp3[knoppix]# knx-hdinstall
bash: knx-hdinstall: command not found

What is wrong? I am tryign to follow the installation procedure form the How To docs.

thanks!

shah
09-06-2004, 08:49 AM
Meaning knx-hdinstall is not there. I believed knoppix 3.4 did not come with knx-hdinstall but knoppix-installer.
Just run : knoppix-installer
:D

angor
09-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Possibility 1: You have a rather old version of knoppix (say 3.2 or so). In this case, perhaps /usr/local/bin is not in root's PATH? Try "/usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall".

Possibility 2: You have a new version of knoppix, but outdated documentation. I think you need to run /usr/sbin/knx2hd instead.

HTH

fishjg
09-06-2004, 08:40 PM
I'm using Knoppix 3.4 and the knoppix-installer command worked. However, it says some conditions are not met for installation. In windows, I have reformatted one of my partitions (15.2 GB) to the FAT32 system for use with Linux. Also I have 512 MB RAM. It brings me to a GUI where I can load each of my harddrives and modify them. I try to label this partition for linux as declare it to be fat32, but when i am finished, the root console tells me that it cannot implement NTFS and that conditions for installation are still not met.

Help!
Thanks.

shah
09-07-2004, 01:44 AM
Okay what you need to do is:
1) run knoppix-installer
2) qtparted will open, from here you need to delete that 15Gig partition since it was formated as fat32. After deleted, you will have 15 g of free space. From there you will create two partition a) 250 mb of linux swap (will be enough since you have 512M ram). b) The rest of the free space will be your linux partition (etx2/ext3).
3) After finishing partitioning your hdd, quit from qtparted, you will start configure your installation, user name, password,...etc.
4)Start installation.