PDA

View Full Version : Help me Save my Data!

StryDeR
09-07-2004, 03:38 AM
ok so i have 2 machines

1 is so corrupt it cant start up...

This isnt the first time tis happend to me, the last time i booted up with knoppix, ran linneighboorhood or whatever and just sent the files to my other computer....

but this time
im using a different computer (the working one)
unfortunately its os i Chinese Windows XP....so i cant read anyuthing

but im pretty sure ive managed to start sharing a folder

So anywyas...i got on linneighboorgood and connected to the working computer....but thats it....I remember last time I mounted it..and i was able to start sharing files...But this time when i mount it, nothing happens =(

any help would be greatly appreciated

shah
09-07-2004, 04:42 AM
I believed you follow the instruction like last time:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12379&highlight=samba
But that was win98, right?

This time you using xp. One thing, before you start, is it xp pro or xp home.
If you are using xp pro, samba should work without any adjustment.

1) Using Xp pro
Try in linneighbourhood, after add machine, right click on that machine and scan group as user. I prefer smb4k then linneighbourhood.

2) But if you are using xp home edition, there is some editing need to be done in your registry. Read how to do it:
http://www.ccs.uky.edu/docs/samba.htm

3) You can also do this from your Xp machine by running nxserver on knoppix and nxclient in xp(pro of course). This nxserver is cool man. I've used a lot of remote computing application before, but this one beats them all.

StryDeR
09-07-2004, 07:31 PM
ive tried rescanning, nothing happens
quoted from previous thread:
1) run your knoppix cd
2) set your netcard using network card configuration (on Tux icon next to K menu)
3) Start knoppix terminal server (choose start). you don't have to set it up. Just enter ok on every question asked.
4) Start samba server ( put the password etc)
5) Run Linneighborhood (under internet menu). In linneighborhood choose icon ADD and your w98 pc name (CHAN) and query. Your w98 pc will show up. Choose whatever folder you share that you want to transfer your data to, right click and mount.
6) Open konquerer, go to device icon on left side and you will see device with the name Remote Share. Click on it and you will see all the files in w98 mounted folder. Create new folder ex:Backup, to move file from corrupted hd to that folder.
7) On your desktop you will see hda1, click on it and it will open the XP partition. From here you can choose what ever files you want, drag and drop or copy and paste to that w98 mounted folder.

Step 2, i dont think is necessary, i can get on the net just fine.
but i think i need to do steps 3-4
Can u explain it a bit more for me?

Right now what ive staretd linneighboorhood, added my other computer successfully but after i mount it nothing happens. And I cant find the Remote share device.

StryDeR
09-07-2004, 07:33 PM
oh i almost forgot, the other computer is using Xp PRO chinese edition i believe.
It is also using user profiles.

http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=1398
Is this the Nxclient u speak of?

shah
09-08-2004, 03:51 AM
You need to do the Step 2 because knoppix will become a server and xp will be the client. An IP is needed for the pc to be recognize by others.Knoppix will masquerade ip to other pc.

Step 3 and 4 are straight forward. You can find it in 'tux icon'.
On the samba side, the important things is name of your xp user and password, workgroup must be the same.

You can do this the other way, without using linneighbourhood.
After you set all the above, mount all your partition in knoppix and set which folder you want to share (under properties-->samba).
Then from XP, open my network places, you'll see your knoppix pc and all the shared folder. Just drag & drop.