PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix v2.4 JUST to run !

Slider2732
09-07-2004, 07:26 PM
I'm new..very new....first time i saw any version of Linux was this morning on my homebuilt from bits P400
So, the Knoppix CD booted on that after having stashed it in a cupboard for a while when it didn't work with my newer 'properly built' PC.

I have recently bought an Olivetti Xtrema P266s laptop that currently has no O/S...and i NEED Knoppix running on it as both Windows desktops have huge amounts of virii and YES i'm now ready to get shut of Windows *hooorah, they cry*
(Spec:P266MMX, 64mb RAM, ViRGE MX 2mb graphics,OPL3-SA3 sound,CDrom and no HDD yet (no caddy :? )

On to the problem:

Bootable Knoppix CD v3.1
(says go to www.knoppix.net/3.1/ but there's nothing there nowadays)
It gets right the way to the very nice looking white screen with Knoppix gear logo and then displays some kind of error box top right, a black box lower left and crashes out to the loader page saying:
X-Window session terminatedwith errors
Please check and retry '/etc/init.d/xsession start
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-3

Typing "failsafe" at boot: causes just an error of no such thing and other 'cheats' i've read about on here don't seem to make any difference either at that point.
I tested audio out with the supplied tester program but it doesnt work on any setting - soundcard is an OPL SA3 and Knoppix appears to load drivers for it in those early 'build yer hopes up' stages.

Remember i'm new lol
I know some of you seasoned people know what the fix is but could you walk me through it step by step? cos like i say...even trying 'failsafe' at boot doesn't do anything.

Thanks

Slider2732
09-07-2004, 07:27 PM
In fact i'm such a newbie i got the version wrong didn't i lol

It is 3.1 not 2.4 :?

Slider2732
09-07-2004, 08:06 PM
I set the screen to fb800x600 and can now read that top right white box error message when things seem so close.

It says there's not enough memory to load KDE - are there any 'cheats' or 'switches' possible or is 64mb not enough to run it on ?????

Any help please...i'd like to save a few of these grey hairs if it won't run no matter what ;)

Slider2732
09-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Having now trawled through more posts than i've eaten hot dinners it seems 96mb is the minimum...damn!
Text mode only...hmmm

Old clunker desktop i built has 106mb, so Knoppix Linux works on that...i see

mzilikazi
09-07-2004, 09:20 PM
Try using one of the lighter wm's on Knoppix like Fluxbox or Icewm.

desktop=icewm
desktop=fluxbox

Slider2732
09-07-2004, 11:34 PM
I tried the two commands there at boot: and unfortunately neither were recognised.

At the moment i have this machine i'm typing on that doesnt have a burner and the other thats been knocked offline by a virus.
So, am stuck for downloading another version.

The laptop was envisaged to be my learning tool for Linux and to see what 'all the fuss is about' as well as brighten my day with having no virii as it's on CD !

locutus
09-08-2004, 01:04 AM
In fact i'm such a newbie i got the version wrong didn't i lol

It is 3.1 not 2.4 :?

shouldn't you be using one of the current versions of Knoppix? v3.3 at the very latest IMHO and definately not 3.1 or 2.4 if it ever existed. You are at these forums so you know where the "Get Knoppix" link is. ;-)

Then maybe you'll be able to boot to a lighter window manager with:
"knoppix desktop=icewm lang=us" at the boot prompt.

Slider2732
09-08-2004, 03:17 AM
Yeah locutus...i'd hope to !
Problem being that i 'upgraded' this one today to have a floppy drive lol so its got no chance of having a burner fitted.......however...i could take the one out of the main PC i guess and do it that way !

You may have helped me out greatly there !

So..these lighter 'X' GUI ones will work in 64mb ? thats all i need to know on that front..then i can seriously look into Linux on a system not needed for anything else while i familarise with it :)