PDA

View Full Version : Is there a GUI for installing updates (noob)

zband
09-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Just loved the knoppix so I followed the directions and installed it on a laptop. Steep learing curve (especially being used to Mac os) but is there a gui for installing program/deleting them? Sorry if this a remedial question but still learning ;)

j.drake
09-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Not a GUI, AFAIK, but what it does have is better, IMO.

For HD installations, there's APT, which is Debian's system for acquiring and updating software. Tell it what you want and it fetches. In version 3.6, there appears to be a script to allow a certain degree of this, even without a HD install, but I don't know the limitations yet. APT also updates your software and OS.

For non-HD installs (live CD or poor man's with persistent home), there's also Klik, which automatically acquires and installs software for you in your home directory. Find it at klik.berlios.de.

I'd much rather have the OS do the work for me, and this is one of the ways in which linux enjoys a clear advantage over Windows and Mac, IMO.

jd

champagnemojo
09-08-2004, 08:47 PM
KPackage and Synaptic can both be used for installing or removing software. For a system-wide upgrade you're much better off to do it in the console...cuz with knoppix you're gonna have some upgrade issues that you'll need to overcome. It's good if you can learn to use the apt-get commands in the console for everything ideally...it will be much easier and faster once you've got it all figured out. But there's nothing wrong with using KPackage or Synaptic. Just remember that however you decide to go you'll need to do an update before searching for the package you want (and you should do updates often).

pulsar
09-09-2004, 01:23 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=56968