PDA

View Full Version : HP Pavilion Z5037wm notebook PC

Chuckbaker
09-09-2004, 02:28 PM
I mode this post in the "Hardware" section before I saw the "Laptop" section here. So If the moderators want to delete it from the hardware section please do.

I tried to run Knoppix on my notebook PC and everything went fine till I get to where it said "Looking for CDROM in /dev/scd0" and that is were the system locked up.

I have an internal cd-rw/dvd drive. I tried to run it in safe mode but that didn't work either.

Any thoughts on why knoppix locks up and if there is any way to correct it.??

Corey
11-14-2004, 06:40 AM
I see this is a bit of an old thread, but I'll post anyways in case anyone else runs across this.

I've been doing a bit of playing around with a Compaq R3000 and Knoppix myself and had the same problem - locking up at "Looking for CDROM in /dev/scd0"

What it looks like is there's a problem enabling DMA mode on the ATI Chipset on these motherboards. Although not a fix, a workaround is to specify the "nodma" argument at boot. The system will then boot normally without using DMA acceleration.

Seems to work fine afterwards.

Hope it helps!

Chuckbaker
11-15-2004, 09:27 AM
I see this is a bit of an old thread, but I'll post anyways in case anyone else runs across this.

I've been doing a bit of playing around with a Compaq R3000 and Knoppix myself and had the same problem - locking up at "Looking for CDROM in /dev/scd0"

What it looks like is there's a problem enabling DMA mode on the ATI Chipset on these motherboards. Although not a fix, a workaround is to specify the "nodma" argument at boot. The system will then boot normally without using DMA acceleration.

Seems to work fine afterwards.

Hope it helps!

Thanks you for the reply. Yes it was an old thread and I did get the answer to my question. And your right. The "nodma" did the trick.

Thanks again.