PDA

View Full Version : cheat code "persistance" with hd install

hardbop200
09-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Hello All,

I'm curious about something...I am using Knoppix 3.6, and absolutely love it. I would like to install it to my hard drive. Here's my question: If I boot from the CD with specific cheat codes (knoppix26 dma alsa, for example), when I run knx-hdinstall, will the installation use those parameters? In other words, when I reboot from the install, will I be running the 2.6 kernel with dma and alsa, or will those options have to be configured by hand?

Thanks!

Josh

hardbop200
09-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Correction - I notice that knx-hdinstall is no longer used, rather knoppix-installer should be used now...I'm still wondering about the cheat codes, though. Anybody know?

Thanks,

Josh

Markus
09-09-2004, 07:18 PM
In theory the cheatcodes used when booting should affect the install, but others have posted about alsa not working after the install even when the alsa cheatcode was used. Kanotix is a bit better at having alsa working. BTW, I think knoppix has dma enabled by default, so that you need nodma if you don't want it.

eco2geek
09-09-2004, 11:35 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that ALSA is used by default in kernel 2.6 so that you don't have to specify it as a cheatcode. (Many people have had problems getting it to work correctly after they installed Knoppix, however.) And like Markus says, I think Knoppix uses DMA by default, so you don't have to specify it as a cheatcode either.

You can send any cheatcodes you need as kernel parameters in your lilo.conf (if you use LILO) or menu.lst (if you use GRUB). AFAIK you still have to put the cheatcodes you need there even if you install Knoppix.

firebyrd10
09-10-2004, 12:49 AM
From my experience in installing knoppix, if you set your persiostant home up, when installing knoppix will copy those files along with the current configs.