PDA

View Full Version : What does 'home=scan' cheat code do?

audioaficionado
03-22-2003, 05:47 AM
"knoppix home=scan Try to find knoppix homedir automatic."

What does this really do? Can I save my home directory to the HD and Knoppix will use it instead of the ramdisk/home?

It sure would come in handy for large permanent file storage and installations without clogging up the RAM/swap.

audioaficionado
03-22-2003, 05:58 PM
26 reads but no answers?

I just wanted to know if there's any advantage of persistant home over saved configs or if both would be even better?

audioaficionado
03-23-2003, 03:28 AM
Lots of looks but no one knows do you?

That's OK because this is new technology and we haven't had time to test it all out.

Well I went ahead and saved 'em both to the HD and then tried to invoke them both on next knoppix boot as suggested in the PH save dialogs.

They aren't compatible I've found. If you save both and try to invoke both using the cheat codes 'knoppix myconfig=scan home=scan' at the boot prompt, it ignores the configs and just loads the PH. This is fine if the default configs work, disasterous if they don't.

Is there a way to mount your PH after the configs are loaded and not before?

Maybe this can be fixed in the next release.

Consider this a bug report.

probono
03-24-2003, 05:09 AM
Why not combine the two somehow? "persistent /etc and /home" would be IT :)

audioaficionado
03-24-2003, 11:52 AM
If it just picked up the configs first and then PH, things would be real peachy as far as I'm concerned.

Jester^
03-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Catching everything in /etc would be nice... Of course, none of that works for me, but I'm getting darn good at rapidly configuring things after I boot up. ;-)