PDA

View Full Version : Installing Knoppix on a computer with Winxp already on it.

sethosayher
09-10-2004, 03:20 AM
I'm a newbie to LInux. Basicly, WINXP hasn't been working correctly, and I want to use knoppix to, in a way, replace it.

I'm new around partions and such, and i' sure i'll mess up the process somehow. I don't want to delete WinXp for various reasons, instead I want to have a dual boot system with Knoppix and Windows.

WinXP is already installed, and I have about 20 gigs of space left. Can someone give me some pointers for this?

Garibaldi
09-10-2004, 03:32 AM
what is your filesystem? Is it ntsf or fat32. If its fat32, you are in luck. If its ntsf, you will have to use a program (there are some listed at the bottom of the "docs" page) to syphine off some of that 20 gigs, probably between 5 and 10 gigs for your install, depending on what you want to do. For the different types of installs, see the docs section also. To install in the least amount of space, you can run knoppix from the cd but be able to keep your settings, files, and install new programs. All you have to do is create a persistent home file and save an configuration file. Then when knoppix first boots you will get a screen where you can enter boot cheats. Type: knoppix home=scan myconfig=scan. That will do it for you. For more details, see the docs section, or just ask, I'm happy to help.

dobell
09-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Hi:

well, I have been able to intall knoppix using winxp and resizing the partitions without problem.

when knoppix has started from cd, you have to open konsole and then type:

#su
#knoppix-installer

This is a script that will guide you throw all the process. I think the best way is resize your XP partition and then create 2 partitions more. The first for your knoppix files, minimun 2.5G and you can choose ext3 or reiserfs type. Then when created this partitions knoppix will detect them and install every file in its corresponding location. It's easy, you can try, but if you don't want to create partitions, you can choose installing it in knoppix-like mode.

sethosayher
09-10-2004, 01:53 PM
I'm gonna try to install a partiton, but can someone explain that process that Garbaldi talked about?

Also, when I boot up with two Oses, will the BIOS choose linux or windows to boot up? Or can I choose?

Thanx for the help

j.drake
09-10-2004, 04:28 PM
I'm gonna try to install a partiton, but can someone explain that process that Garbaldi talked about?

Here 'ya go. (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PoorMansInstall) Garibaldi didn't have room initially to put the knoppix file system on his hard drive, so he didn't do the portions relating to use of the "tohd" and "fromhd" arguments, but if you could free up a fraction of that 20 gig for a persistent home (maybe the rest in FAT32, so it's usable by both OSes), you should be OK. Someone recently suggested that Qtparted on the Knoppix disk can resize NTFS partitions to allow you create FAT32. I've actually seen a number of posts claiming that resizing NTFS with Qtparted is safe, provided that you defrag the devil out of the partition first (In fact, I intend to use it myself on a laptop whose NTFS partition is running out of room).:wink:

jd

sethosayher
09-10-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanx, maybe I can install linux today

sethosayher
09-10-2004, 08:37 PM
OK, I think my HDD is a NTSF drive. So what do i do?

Also, when I tried starting the knoppix installer using:

#su
#knoppix-installer

nothing happened. I tried in the konsole and the boot sequence. Am I typing something wrong? Where do I enter these commands?

sethosayher
09-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Ok, i entered, "knoppix-installer" by itself but a message saying "root permison needed" poped up. What do I do now?

Oh yeah, thanx for all your efforts, I know how hard it can be to work with a newbie

firebyrd10
09-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Ok, i entered, "knoppix-installer" by itself but a message saying "root permison needed" poped up. What do I do now?

Oh yeah, thanx for all your efforts, I know how hard it can be to work with a newbie
Its no problem, we were all newbies once.

Root is basicly the same as administrator on windows.

type sudo knoppix-installer instead.

(j.drake: I believe the new version can safely move the fragments around on the drive in order to get to the empty space. The systemrescue cd I posted about earlier showed 23 gigs free while knoppix showed only 6.)

sethosayher
09-10-2004, 08:50 PM
Ok, I got into the installer. Now I tired to resize my hdd. But whenever I try, a message pops up:

"$Bitmap $DATA: Input/output error"

I think this is because of my NTSF file system. Is there a program to convert some data to fat32?

firebyrd10
09-10-2004, 08:55 PM
Alot of programs give you errors when you see ther output in a consol. You can just ignore them.

(My typing just gets worse and worse.)

sethosayher
09-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Yeah, but I can't resize my HDD because of it. Whenever I try, that message pops up, and then the hard drive has no change whatsoever.

I tried to resize it so I could get about 15-16 gigs for one partition.

Another Note is that the konsole had a message that basicly said that knoppix does not support ntfs yet. So i believe that i have to convert some of my HDD to fat32 (if thats possible).

Can someone recommend me a program to convert parts of a Ntfs drive to Fat32? About 15 gigs.

firebyrd10
09-10-2004, 09:11 PM
What version of knoppix are you useing? :?

The current ones fully support resizing NTFS.

sethosayher
09-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Knoppix 3.6

is that the latest?

And does booting with the 2.6 kernel effect the ability to resize ntfs?

firebyrd10
09-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Knoppix 3.6

is that the latest?

And does booting with the 2.6 kernel effect the ability to resize ntfs?
Yes, I thing 2.6 does affect ntfs resizer, try 2.4

sethosayher
09-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Alright, i'll try both.

I'm gonna install this baby if its the last thing I do!

j.drake
09-10-2004, 09:37 PM
try 2.4

But I thought the 2.6 kernel had more native NTFS capabilities than 2.4.

jd

firebyrd10
09-10-2004, 09:39 PM
try 2.4

But I thought the 2.6 kernel had more native NTFS capabilities than 2.4.

jd
I don't know anything about that, but I think I read that ntfsresizer has problems with that kernel.

Found it.

http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html
Bright Red text.

sethosayher
09-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Ahh, i ran the qtpartion program in both kernals, same error.

Is ntfsresize a program i can get?

sethosayher
09-10-2004, 10:16 PM
ok, tried to install ntfs, and then Kpakage asked me for a password. Whats the default password?

sethosayher
09-10-2004, 10:21 PM
h sorry, i didn't see the topic with the title "Root password"

<_<;;

sethosayher
09-10-2004, 10:34 PM
So i downloaded ntsfresize, but found that I need to use alien to install it.

So I download Alien, and the whole this looks confusing as hell.

Ahhh, does anyone know how to install ALien?

Garibaldi
09-10-2004, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure what that error is?? Sorry I was so vague in my earlier post, I didn't have much time. Here is what I did which works great for me, see this link: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13177
You have nothing to lose by doing an hd install because you don't already have a fat32 partition. If you can't get QTParted to work you could always try a windows program, there are a bunch here: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PartitionManagers
I will help in anyway that I can, I'm still a newbie too, I only got knoppix a week ago, but I did some work with pear pc and emulating OS X so this isn't as big of a change for me. Hope you get it to work!! :)

sethosayher
09-10-2004, 10:47 PM
Lol, i'm gonna spend the rest of the afternoon to try to install this baby

firebyrd10
09-10-2004, 11:04 PM
ok, tried to install ntfs, and then Kpakage asked me for a password. Whats the default password?
Root by defualt doesn't have a password, Besides, you wouldn't be able to install it anyway because its a cd. The parts it wants to install too aren't on the Ramdisk.

http://www.sysresccd.org/ Has the most uptodate version of any Live-cd linux. At boot up type menu

Irgu
09-10-2004, 11:29 PM
Quote from the NTFSResize FAQ, referred earlier:

"Before resizing an NTFS, ntfsresize makes a filesystem consistency check and it refuses to progress, giving error messages, if it found errors. In these cases you need to boot Windows and run chkdsk with the /f (fix errors) command line option. If chkdsk asks you about if it should check the drive the next time you restart the computer then answer 'y' (yes) and restart Windows. If you don't specify the /f option then chkdsk will not fix the NTFS consistency problems."

Then use QtParted from the SystemRescueCD (unfortunately Knoppix has a 2 years old, very limited ntfs resizer). It will work fine, it always worked for me.

sethosayher
09-11-2004, 01:37 AM
Quote from the NTFSResize FAQ, referred earlier:

"Before resizing an NTFS, ntfsresize makes a filesystem consistency check and it refuses to progress, giving error messages, if it found errors. In these cases you need to boot Windows and run chkdsk with the /f (fix errors) command line option. If chkdsk asks you about if it should check the drive the next time you restart the computer then answer 'y' (yes) and restart Windows. If you don't specify the /f option then chkdsk will not fix the NTFS consistency problems."

Then use QtParted from the SystemRescueCD (unfortunately Knoppix has a 2 years old, very limited ntfs resizer). It will work fine, it always worked for me.

Damn I'm screwed. One of the reasons why I'm installing Knoppix, is because windows won't start up properly.......So I can't boot it.........i hope I won't have to refromat my comp.

sethosayher
09-11-2004, 02:01 AM
If i reformat my drive could I still acess the internet?

I use a usb cable modem. Does Knoppix need my WIndows partition in order to get back online?

Garibaldi
09-11-2004, 03:21 AM
If i reformat my drive could I still acess the internet?

I use a usb cable modem. Does Knoppix need my WIndows partition in order to get back online?

I don't think that you would have to worry about that, Knoppix automatically detects your TCP/IP settings and downloads them from your IP server, just watch the text on the startup screen. Besides, remember that windows isn't running when you are running knoppix so It can't get info from it.

firebyrd10
09-11-2004, 04:43 AM
If you have a cd-rw thats not the drive your booting knoppix from then you can burn cds.

Just start up k3b.

Irgu
09-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Damn I'm screwed. One of the reasons why I'm installing Knoppix, is because windows won't start up properly.......So I can't boot it.........i hope I won't have to refromat my comp.
Boot Windows Recovery Console and run chkdsk /f from there.

sethosayher
09-11-2004, 01:30 PM
I reformated!

On purpose, of course. Now, do I need two partitions? *can someone tell me what to make?*

sethosayher
09-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Some how I made like 4 partitions, and I can't make a new partition table.......hmmm

sethosayher
09-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Okay, these are the partitions I see in qtparted:
# Partition Type Status Size Used Space Start End Label
01 [/dev/hda1] [ext3] [Active] [74.37 GB] [3.75] [O.O3MB] [74.37GB] Primary
02 [/dev/hda3] [LInux-swap] [1.95GB] [0.00MB] [74.37GB] [76.37GB]
03 [/dev/hda-1] [Free] [7.8MB] [N/A] [76.32GB] [76.33GB]

*Notes, both Parts 02, 03 have no lable and are not active.

What can I do? I can't make a new partition table it says "A new partition table is not possible"

EDIT! I converted my ext3 part to reisefs, and now its installing!

sethosayher
09-11-2004, 05:31 PM
I installed sucessfully. Thanx guys

scanman
09-13-2004, 04:29 AM

firebyrd10
09-13-2004, 06:40 AM
???? :?