PDA

View Full Version : Please Help: Knoppix machine is livein my ofice network

prelude
09-10-2004, 04:01 AM
Hi All :D ,

As this us very first attempt to use knopppix... so, please tolerate my silly queries... and ignoracne!

My laptop runs on xp machine and while connected to the office network, i boot my boot the my laptop with the knoppix 3.6 CD.

when i use ifconfig eth0... i found the IP address is 162.132.136.181 whereas hostname is knoppix! and when i ping this ip address from other machine in the network its shows a machine name which is say for example xfob132.mycompany.com. but when i reboot my laptop to my xp OS, i CANNOT ping the xfob132.mycompany.com again.

and while i was with knoppix mode, i can also browse to internet from my machine i.e it is connected to network.

My question is how can the knoppix get such ip address and machine name??? Should it be because of our poor non-secure dhcp server???

Then, this way would this knoppix laptop is a thread to our network???
can some one please let me know thier views on this..

so many thanks in advacne,

8)

prelude
09-10-2004, 06:01 AM
Hi

The second time i boot my laptop with the knoppix 3.6 cd, i found that previous hostname (say for example xfob132.mycompany.com) is NOT seen in the DNS ... HOWEVER, a new DNS entry (i.e. knoppix) is seen with my machine.

I can ping knoppix.mycompany.com from anywhere from my office network. and this knoppix.mycompany.com is hte host name of my laptop.

I THINK its a really vulnarable issue... because KNOPPIX is NOT supposed to write anything in our DNS server...

I have upset our netowrk team who controls the DNS server. and I AM (including any EMPLOYEE) NOT ALLOWED to boot ANY KNOPPIX or WHATSOEEVER freeX CD in company laptop / machine anymore :( while they are connected to network... :shock:

Is this DNS entry creation issue known to KNOPPIX TEAM????

:roll:

segmose
09-10-2004, 08:52 AM
Isnt that just because the DNS ask the PC what it calls itself?

If you rename your XP identity to Beep it should be shown as beep.xxx.yy.

Fabianx
09-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Knoppix is not doing more then asking the DHCP server for an IP. If you allow that and don't want that, thats your fault.

If you don't want Knoppix to do that use at bootup:

"knoppix nodhcp"

Ok, but this is an issue, which independently of knoppix exists in your network.

So I'd suggest fixing your DHCP server to not create a DNS entry.

And even if Knoppix did (it does not do that) create a DNS entry, you should fix your network and not say:

The program is bad.

I mean if Knoppix could do that, everyone could do that, which does not help your security at all. So prohibiting is no solution.

cu

Fabian

prelude
09-14-2004, 02:04 AM
(All GPL tools including Knoppix are NOT BAD at all... :P )

Thank you for all of your valuable feedback… Many thanks for your feedback...

I understand that the ip address is leased, but what about the permanent DNS entry the knoppix has written in the DNS server??? And I know our lazy network team is ignorant about this issue… how can they allow a foreign application to write a permanent dns entry in the dns server???

I don’t think it’s a nice thing to write anything in a permanent basis… from my point of view, NO such tools/application like knoppix (e.g. as it doesn’t write anything on the local hard disk) should write anything permanently in , in this case Knoppix wrote the _permanent_ DNS entry (knoppix.mycompany.com) in our DNS server…

If it has to write something, then it should delete the written info before the shutdown! What I mean that, after ending the session with knoppix, when I ping knoppix.mycompany.com, it tries to ping the leased ip address with knoppix.mycompany.com.

Or may be it is because of freeNX client…??? I have tried to connect to the Active Directory domain controller using the freeNX client from knoppix machine. During this attempt, could the NX client possibly create the dns entry????

Does anyone have any idea???? Please share...

user unknown
09-14-2004, 02:28 AM
Your knoppix can't write to the DNS-Server, it's the DNS-Server who is writing.

And I guess your network-people don't know their job very well - only by experience, so they prohibit linux to cover their missing knowledge.

JPWhite
09-14-2004, 02:49 AM
I have a suggestion.

Change your Windoze computer name to KNOPPIX and reboot.

You should have fun watching your system admins running around trying to find the illegal Linux computer.

JP

prelude
09-14-2004, 04:12 AM
yes, you are rite! our network team is not good... 4 out of 6 in hte team dont have tech background... but they are really nice people... however, i dont really understand how come HR got them selected... may be because of cheap salary :P

renaming windows machine to Knoppixxxxx?? Nah, not a good option... :twisted:

firebyrd10
09-14-2004, 04:16 AM
Your knoppix can't write to the DNS-Server, it's the DNS-Server who is writing.

And I guess your network-people don't know their job very well - only by experience, so they prohibit linux to cover their missing knowledge.
Correct. I believe that when a DNS server finds a new IP with host name it auto adds it. Knoppix did nothing other then provide the info that the DNS server asked for.

baldyeti
09-14-2004, 08:45 AM
"prelude", have you tried running "pump -r" (release dhcp lease) before shutting down?

PS: what's the point in starting two simultaneous threads on the same subject? "user unknown" should have lectured you on this ;-)

user unknown
09-14-2004, 11:03 AM
:)

prelude
09-15-2004, 04:21 AM
pump -r will release the ip, but would it de-write the entry from dns server???

anyway... the network colleagues set TTL so that it will flush all dns entries usnsed for last 15 days! :lol:

thank you so much to all for lecturing on this topic! and also i apologize if i upset anyone in the cloud :roll:

bye 8)