PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here use Pearpc?

Garibaldi
09-10-2004, 10:43 PM
I was just wondering if anyone else here uses pear pc (see www.pearpc.net). Its currently the only windows emulator of Mac OS X. With it and Knoppix you can run each major os!

aay
09-11-2004, 03:08 AM
I have not used it. You might want to keep an eye on Qemu though. It will run as a host on x86 platforms (currently being ported to Windows) and ppc. It will emulate x86 and (soon) ppc architecutes (others are on the way too). Supposedly you can run Windows in Linux using Qemu. Again, this isn't something I have done myself (cause I haven't had a need yet), but it looks cool and I may give it a try sometime.

Here's the Quemu url: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

BTW, you can apt-get qemu. Make sure you read the documentation very carefully though. I hope it works better than bochs. I got Windows running under Linux in Bochs, but it was HORRIBLY slow.

Garibaldi
09-11-2004, 03:28 AM
I downloaded qemu and tried to get it to emulate suse linux in windows, I even downloaded the special version of suse for qemu (1 Gb). It turns out the version I got must have been bad because I tried every possible combo of commands from the prompt with qemu.exe ...... but all it would do is:
C:\qemu\> qemu.exe
C:\qemu\>
so it wouldn't even give me an error message for running the executable. It turns out that the version was bad. So I downloaded a good version and copied the suse image into the folder. I then thought to myself, wow that image copied fast. I looked and the image had a file size of 0KB!!!!!!! Somehow qemu had screwed up my image so that it was no longer usable. My original downloaded file was gone too because for some reason windows downloaded it to the temp folder. Anyway, I tried it but it seemed way to complicated for me, maybe it would be better if I could find some good documentation on it. As far as how fast it could emulate windows in linux, I guess its supposed to be very fast.

Durand Hicks
09-11-2004, 04:14 AM
That depends on which version of windows you're trying to emulate. Win95 and 98 worked speedily enough, but anything beyond that would bog qemu down considerably, including a full install of linux. (I built my own disk images and installed the oses in each image.) The only thing I wasn't able to do in qemu is format a floppy disk without it crashing. The workaround would be to get a real floppy and dd it to an image, and that works just fine. That's that extent of what I've done so far with qemu.

Durand

probono
09-13-2004, 01:48 PM
I was just wondering if anyone else here uses pear pc (see www.pearpc.net). Its currently the only windows emulator of Mac OS X. With it and Knoppix you can run each major os!

Yes, I am very interested in this, unfortunately I hear the emulated Mac runs at about 1/10 of the native speed of the PC (which isn't too much on my 400 Mhz notebook...). But the technology is nevertheless exciting. Did you successfully run Mac OS X on Knoppix?

baldyeti
09-13-2004, 02:01 PM
I downloaded qemu and tried to get it to emulate suse linux in windowsThe easiest way to try qemu is to download the special Japanese Knoppix CD (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12858), which comes with colinux and qemu.
As far as how fast it could emulate windows in linux, I guess its supposed to be very fast.oh, then you're in for a disappointment. Qemu might be techically impressive, it is also in practice unbearably slow.

Colinux feels much more usable to me.

garyng
10-02-2004, 03:21 AM
I downloaded qemu and tried to get it to emulate suse linux in windowsThe easiest way to try qemu is to download the special Japanese Knoppix CD (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12858), which comes with colinux and qemu.
As far as how fast it could emulate windows in linux, I guess its supposed to be very fast.oh, then you're in for a disappointment. Qemu might be techically impressive, it is also in practice unbearably slow.

Colinux feels much more usable to me.

Yes. Colinux is the best for those who need to run both XP and linux(not hight throughput server). Alternatively, get a used PC and run linux on it. They are getting real cheap now. I saw one ad. of a 500Mhz Celeron by IBM selling for USD 25 and that is a pretty responsive system for linux. As for me, I just bought an used Xbox.

Garibaldi
10-10-2004, 04:32 AM
Yes, I am very interested in this, unfortunately I hear the emulated Mac runs at about 1/10 of the native speed of the PC (which isn't too much on my 400 Mhz notebook...). But the technology is nevertheless exciting. Did you successfully run Mac OS X on Knoppix?
It would be slow on a 400 Mhz, but it is getting faster all the time. For instance, then new 0.4Pre version even has sound emulation! I don't use it as a main os by any means but it is nice for running things like Ken Burns effects in iMovie and then using them in my videos in windows. No, I have not tried Pear Pc in linux, I wish I could find an easy way to do it but it looks like you will have to compile it from the source code, something I have no skill at. :?

Yes. Colinux is the best for those who need to run both XP and linux(not hight throughput server).
Could you help me get Colinux running? I downloaded the gentoo image seperately and then downloaded colinux. I installed it and tried messing with colinux-daemon.exe but I'm not sure what to do. Could you help me get it working with my Gentoo image that I downloaded off their site? Thanks. :)

garyng
10-10-2004, 06:57 AM
Could you help me get Colinux running? I downloaded the gentoo image seperately and then downloaded colinux. I installed it and tried messing with colinux-daemon.exe but I'm not sure what to do. Could you help me get it working with my Gentoo image that I downloaded off their site? Thanks. :)

Um, it should be pretty straight forward. I faintly remember the steps :

1. run the installer which would install colinux as well as TAP driver(for networking)
2. expand your image(gentoo, woody etc.) to a file on the HD
3. modify the xml(which is the lilo/grub equivalent) file to use your rootfs file then launch colinux.

That is it. Without knowing what particular problem you have, I don't know what else I can help. Just tell me what stucks so I can suggest additional things to try.

colinux performance is excellent unless you have heavy network activities, if it is within its own rootfs, I don't notice any speed difference than native boot linux. Acrossing network can be an issue(even loopback to the hosting XP), but that only shows when you are doing very heavy network stuff. I once tried import the DVD device from XP to colinux then run mencoder to rip the DVD movie and stored it back to a CIFS share exported on the same XP machine, it took me 10 hours on the 2.8G P4. I did the same natively on a xbox and it is just an hour or so.

Garibaldi
10-11-2004, 12:04 AM
Alright, I downloaded the Gentoo image, extracted it and renamed it so now I have Gentoo.2, which I added to my xml file. I then used colinux-daemon -c default.colinux.xml, and it gave me this error:
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1067236#1067236
What do you think? :?

garyng
10-11-2004, 03:16 AM
Alright, I downloaded the Gentoo image, extracted it and renamed it so now I have Gentoo.2, which I added to my xml file. I then used colinux-daemon -c default.colinux.xml, and it gave me this error:
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1067236#1067236
What do you think? :?

root=/dev/home ?

That sounds strange. It is usually root=/dev/cobd? and you need to have the proper entry in /etc/fstab in your rootfs to point to this. I remembered they have add some feature in the 0.61 build such that you can alias /dev/cobd0 to /dev/loop0 which allows you to use the same rootfs for both KNOPPIX style booting as well as colinux booting.

What does your xml file say ? you need to have a line like root=.

As I said, the xml is just the grub/lilo equivalent so it should be very similar to what a typical grub/lilo append line looks. root=/dev/home is definitely odd.

Othe than that, it is pretty normal and should have no problem running once you have that fixed. networking may be your next road block. If you use wired network, you can just bridge the network interface and the TAP device(under XP). If you are using wireless like me, you would need to enable the ICS which tells XP to be a NAT device for colinux.

Garibaldi
10-12-2004, 02:59 AM
root=/dev/home
Sorry, that should read root=/dev/cobd like you said, it gave me the same error as I posted only the line with cannot open root device "home" 75:00 has cobd in place of it. I tried changing cobd since that seemed to be the error. Here is my xml file, with Gentoo.2 being my image file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<colinux>
<!-- This line needs to point to your root file system.
For example change "root_fs" to the name of the Debian image.
Inside coLinux it will be /dev/cobd0 -->
<block_device index="0" path="\DosDevices\c:\coLinux\"Gentoo.2"
enabled="true" />

<!-- This line can specify a swap file if you wish, or an additional
image file, it will /dev/cobd1. Additional block_devices can
be specified in the same manner by increasing the index -->

<block_device index="1" path="\DosDevices\c:\coLinux\swap_device"
enabled="true" />

<bootparams>root=/dev/cobd</bootparams>

<image path="vmlinux" />

<!-- this line allows you to specify the amount of memory available
to coLinux -->
<memory size="64" />

<!-- This allows you to modify networking parameters, see the README
or website for more information -->
<network index="0" type="tap" />

</colinux>
Also for my networking, I disabled sharing and firewall on my primary dsl connection and made a bridge between the primary and tap. But the tap is still disconnected. What do I need to do to connect it? I had this problem too trying to run pear pc with networking, I could never get the tap to connect! The bridge is connected fine.
As far as my xml file, what do I need to add?
Garibaldi

garyng
10-12-2004, 03:22 AM
<bootparams>root=/dev/cobd</bootparams>

This should read "root=/dev/cobd0", the first device index 0 is cobd0.

As for TAP, it will only show connected when it is accessed, meaning after colinux successfully booted. I have no idea about PearPC as I don't use it.

Garibaldi
10-12-2004, 09:41 PM
I changed that but I still get that same error. What do you think is wrong?
Thanks.

garyng
10-13-2004, 01:03 AM
I changed that but I still get that same error. What do you think is wrong?
Thanks.

Without seeing the log, I really can't tell.

Garibaldi
10-13-2004, 02:28 AM
you mean the error given in the prompt? if so its the same one as I linked to earlier only replace the "root" 75:00 error with "cobd0" 75:00. Thats it[/quote]

garyng
10-13-2004, 04:43 AM
you mean the error given in the prompt? if so its the same one as I linked to earlier only replace the "root" 75:00 error with "cobd0" 75:00. Thats it[/quote]

No idea then. could be the kernel you use don't have the needed fs for your rootfs. This is actually a very generic linux error which is not specific to colinux anymore.

It just means the kernel for some reason cannot access device (75,0) as a root. Have you asked over colinux list ?

Garibaldi
10-14-2004, 02:40 AM
Should I try downloading the image again?

garyng
10-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Should I try downloading the image again?

You could, I have no idea about gentoo. I use debian exclusively and usually created by myself with debootstrap.