PDA

View Full Version : Sound Card Problems

Jetrider_Omega
09-10-2004, 11:09 PM
"...knoppix onto my hdd, but now it can't find the sound card. It worked when I ran it from the cd, but since being installed it doesn't work. I ran the soundcard configuration but can't get it to work. It autodetects ES1371 as my sound card but won't play the sample sound. I then look through the list and find my sound card (Creative SoundBlaster 128 PCI) but that doesn't work either. Could someone please help me." -jaredhanks
[from other article "http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12502"]

[I'm running Knoppixs "2.4.27" I think the ver is 3.4 but I'm not sure [Friend installed it]]
I'm having problems with a Soundcard. I had the exact same problem as Jared did. But when I exec "modprobe es1371" and "alsa-autoconfig" I run into some problems.

When "modprobe es1371" is entered into the command line it does nothing and returns to the prompt. [Afterwards I tried running XMMS with the OSS driver and no sound comes out because it stops 1ms after I hit play. However it shows the visual bars going up for a brief moment. When I run XMMS with the ALSA Driver I get a "Could'nt open audio" error.]

When "/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig start" is exec then it outputs

"Preparing Module for alsa... [/n]
Building Card Database.."
then it goes back to the prompt

When I exec the "/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig start" command a second time all that shows up is

"Preparing Module for alsa... [/n]"

As a last resort I ran the sound card configuration program and it found my sound card and set it up. But I continue to recieve the same problem when I run XMMS.

*I've checked the Mixerand have tried everything suggested

I would apreciate any help provided

Thanks,
Jetrider_Omega

shah
09-11-2004, 02:02 AM
Increase volume level to the max.
Check on your mixer(kmix) if there is an advanced button (in latest kmix the advanced button has been change to switches), if there is, try to uncheck some of the option.
I had cmi8738 soundcard, sound only appears when I uncheck exchange DAC and mix analog.
Try using other application to see if sound appear ex: juk, noatun etc.
:D

Jetrider_Omega
09-13-2004, 08:02 PM
I'm still not getting any sound after trying all those steps.

CrashedAgain
09-15-2004, 05:01 AM
When "modprobe es1371" is entered into the command line it does nothing and returns to the prompt. [Afterwards I tried running XMMS with the OSS driver and no sound comes out because it stops 1ms after I hit play. However it shows the visual bars going up for a brief moment. When I run XMMS with the ALSA Driver I get a "Could'nt open audio" error.]

This sounds like the aRTS deamon is interfering with xmms. apt-get install xmms-arts then set preferences in xmms to input using arts.