PDA

View Full Version : Persistent /home not working

dargaud
09-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Hello all,

I'm trying to use Knoppix for quick development checks with KDevelop.

I tried and failed to setup a persistant home.
I created it allright, on a partition for itself /dev/hda9
The files are there and I can automount the partition (why ext2 and not ext3 ?)

But the boot command "knoppix home=/dev/hda9" is ignored (or home=scan). I tried several times. /home is always on the ramdisk.

OTOH the myconf=scan or myconf=/dev/hda9 works fine. BTW, the config save script has a bug, it says to use myconfig=/mnt/hda9 instead of myconf=/dev/hda9

Using knoppix 3.6

Side question: is it possible to have ssh and samba start automatically from the myconf script ? I know how to do it from a standard linux install but I'd think it's pretty different here.

eco2geek
09-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Take a look at /etc/mtab after you've started with home=/dev/hda9. If it's mounted correctly, you should see a line that looks like this:

/mnt/hda9 /home/knoppix none rw,bind 0 0

Even better way to find out: Run Knoppix with the cheatcode "home=/dev/hda9" and save a file in /home/knoppix. Restart Knoppix with "home=/dev/hda9" again. Is the file still there?

"/ramdisk/home/knoppix" is just the mount point for your persistent home.

Side question: is it possible to have ssh and samba start automatically from the myconf script ? I know how to do it from a standard linux install but I'd think it's pretty different here.

I think you have to restart samba and ssh each time you run Knoppix off the Live CD. (From the Knoppix menu to the right of the K menu, under Services.)