PDA

View Full Version : Unrar in Linux

sethosayher
09-12-2004, 08:17 PM
I downloaded winrar for linux, but I have no idea how to install it. Can some explain the install process for WInrar? (I need to extract something). And can you try to make it as simple as possible?

I've heard that you can use "tar" to extract rar files. Can someone explain how to extract a file using tar?

Thanx in advance.

mzilikazi
09-12-2004, 09:36 PM
# apt-get install unrar
unrar -x <file>

SImple eh?

For further details:

man unrar

unrar --usage

sethosayher
09-12-2004, 09:51 PM
thanx, but i get his message when i try to install:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package unrar is not available, but is referre
This may mean that the package is missing, has
is only available from another source
E: Package unrar has no installation candidate

sethosayher
09-12-2004, 11:01 PM
ahhh Bump

baldyeti
09-12-2004, 11:21 PM
"unrar" is definitely in the debian package pool. Maybe you need to run "apt-get update" before "apt-get -t testing install unrar". Make sure you're online before this ;-)

sethosayher
09-12-2004, 11:34 PM
okay, i'm updating :)

I did find a way to access unrar, but whenever i try unrar -x <myfile>, it always says, that command (unrar) can't be used.

sethosayher
09-12-2004, 11:43 PM
i updated, but it didn't install Unrar.

I found if you go to the unrar file i downloaded in the konsole, it starts unrar. My problem is, the bash doesn't seem to reconise the comman "unrar"

sethosayher
09-12-2004, 11:46 PM
I restarted the apt-get install unrar line and now its installing. Hopefully it will work. Thanks guys.

mzilikazi
09-13-2004, 02:26 AM
ahhh Bump

A whole 70 minutes you waited then you bumped?! :roll: I've waited longer than that for paid tech support!

Well I must confess that I forget to tell noobs to do apt-get update and read the apt/dpkg howto (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2638).