PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX boot from Window ME ?

garyng
03-22-2003, 03:42 PM
Hi,

I am currently running dual boot ME/XP on my laptop and want to know if it is possible to do the "poor man's installation" that is to copy \KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX to C:\.

It should be easy to boot from floppy but I want to know if it is possible to do it without CD/floppy.

Can I make the boot floppy and take the first 512 byte(boot sector) and let the NT boot loader load it ?

RockMumbles
03-26-2003, 03:24 AM
There's been a whole bunch of discussion on running the compressed image from hd here, and there is also a FAQ on the same subject.

rock

garyng
03-26-2003, 11:50 AM
Yup, I have read them but still haven't found a solution to run and boot from HD without installing(a seperate LINUX partition).

I am experimenting with lilo and accidentally screw up the MBR and wiped out my whole HD :cry: , will continue to try once I have installed all the M$ stuff.

A. Jorge Garcia
03-26-2003, 03:03 PM
Yup, I hate when that happens!

Anyway, there is a discussion out there about just copying KNOPPIX to the M$ WINDOZE drive and booting from the floppy image. I don't know if they discussed how to do a dual boot in this way without the floppy.

Regards,

RockMumbles
03-26-2003, 03:06 PM
Have you looked at this thread?

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1075

I expect you are using the xp bootloader, I can't help you there as I've hardly even seen xp run, but I know I've seen posts about setting up the xp bootloader, so you may be able to use the same approach as the lilo setup in
oscar's second post.

HTH

rock

garyng
03-26-2003, 03:22 PM
I know how to let XP/NT loader load the lilo sector which is supposed to be installed on a seperate partition for linux(I have done that before). But never tried that on an ME(FAT32) one as described by the FAQ. Playing on same the partition is extremely dangerous and I learnt that the hard way. Still working on it and reading the lilo howto.