PDA

View Full Version : NX Server Tuning Questions

pau1knopp
09-13-2004, 02:35 PM
I am using the NX Server included with KNX 3.6 (as well as ProBono's fantastic klik package on KNX 3.4) and can get KDE desktop sessions with very pleasing results. Now I am trying to tune the environment a little. I am running into the following questions, and not finding results on No Machines tech support page as far as really resolving them in the commercial NX Server environment. Here are my questions in no particular order:

1) Has anyone gotten multimedia (on the client services tab in configuration) to work? When I log into No Machines testdrive servers, I always get the KDE system startup / shutdown sounds, but the server is (wisely) locked down and I can't see how to configure from the server end.

2) Has anyone gotten access to their local shares or printers (again via the services tab) to work? Where do these resources show up at in the KDE (or other) environment? In citrix they show up as a network drive or printer.

3) Has anyone been able to publish a single application, as opposed to using the full KDE desktop? When I try to run mozilla or xterm (using the client configuration general tab, selecting desktop Unix and custom, settings button, run command mozilla) it authenticates properly, and opens up an NX window, but the screen is remains totally black with a big X for the cursor. Nothing else. Nada.

Looking forward to any help the group may be able to give.

Regards,

~pau1

mzilikazi
09-13-2004, 06:50 PM
I would recommend updating your nx packages on the server side.

echo "deb http://www.kalyxo.org/debian/ experimental main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

The latest versions:

ii nxagent 1.4.0-3.3
ii nxclient 1.4.0-12.3
ii nxproxy 1.4.0-3.3
ii nxserver 0.2-4.1
ii nxssh 1.4.0-3.3
ii nxtunnel-client 1.4.0-3.3
ii nxtunnel-server 1.4.0-3.3

I can log in from a windows box using NXClient version 1.3.2. I have not been able to use multimedia or printing shares but neither have I put much effort into it. :)

It does work to launch a single application however w/ Run Command> firefox or Eterm (those were the only 2 I tried).

Also (for anyone interested) you can export xfce4 too from your server using Run Command> startxfce4 or on the server simply ln -s startxfce4 gnome-session and then choose GNOME in the client configuration.

pau1knopp
09-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Thanks for confirming that you were able to run a single application. Is this from a hard drive install, as firefox is not part of a stock KNOPPIX distro? I am trying to run everything directly from CD (or CD image on HD).

Still looking for other input with this request.

Regards,

Paul

mzilikazi
09-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks for confirming that you were able to run a single application. Is this from a hard drive install,

Indeed it is.

as firefox is not part of a stock KNOPPIX distro?

Sorry no idea.

shah
09-14-2004, 03:58 PM
I didn't run nxserver from knoppix3.6 cd but from kanotix hdd. I have tested in two environment (LAN offcourse). I haven't try run it from net, I don't know how, need to subscribe to no-machine I guess.

1) Using xp pro as client.
Running okay. I can run everything like running it from my kanotix pc....offcourse, because it's running from there.
I haven't try multimedia (sound) yet. May be I need to enable networksound.

2) Using pxes thin client pxes.sourceforge.net
This need a bit of effort. If your server not running dhcp server, you need to assign an ip to your client. Else you will not be able to login and get a message 'ssh servece died unexpectedly'. You can set an ip by using ifconfig eth0 xx.xx.xx.xx up.
The other problem is the size of my display. It will be bigger, like 800x600, eventhough I set it to 1024x768.
Other than that, I don't see any problem.