PDA

View Full Version : dual-boot knoppix rhe3 (no windoze!)

phaedral
09-13-2004, 07:57 PM
I have successfully put knoppix 3.6 on my box, now I want to set up an rhe3 rebuild (centos-3) on the 15gig I left for that purpose. Running the installer is easier enough, but I'm at a loss for booting. Knoppix defaults to lilo; rhe to grub. Have any of y'all out there already done this?

Here's my thinking...switch from lilo to grub on the knoppix, then I can follow this tutorial: http://www.pcquest.com/content/search/showarticle.asp?artid=58131

All pointers appreciated!

mzilikazi
09-13-2004, 09:51 PM
Go ahead and install rhe (oooh can't beleive I said that :) ) and put GRUB in the MBR. GRUB is smart and will find your Knoppix install. You can always run update-grub too.

phaedral
09-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Go ahead and install rhe (oooh can't beleive I said that :) ) and put GRUB in the MBR. GRUB is smart and will find your Knoppix install. You can always run update-grub too.
Yes indeedy, grub sees knoppix. Cool so far. But when I select knoppix I get the following

Booting 'knoppix'

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Error 12: Invalid or unsupported executable format

So currently no knoppix.

It's a 40 gig drive; partitions like so:

hda1-6

1 100m /boot (knoppix)
2 19g / (knoppix)
3 500m swap
4 extended
5 100m /boot (rhe)
6 19g /

Now I'm thinking it was a mistake to separate out the /boot for each since I'm using grub in the MBR, but, honestly, I'm in the deep-end, competence wise, and if there's a good faq or howto I should be looking at I won't be offended. Googling for info on two versions of linux isn't tremendously fruitful...all the dual-boot docs are about win/lin.

I wouldn't be mucking about with rh at all if that weren't the target for testing...

mzilikazi
09-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Boot into rhe and use update-grub.

OR

I don't use the chainloader but rather specify which partition and kernel I want to boot in /boot/grub/menu.lst like so:

title Debian
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hda2 ro
savedefault
boot

HTH :)