PDA

View Full Version : Harddisk Analyzing with Knoppix 3.4 - How to ????

xdream
09-14-2004, 06:50 AM
Hi ppl.

I need help for this ...

I have made an image of a harddisk using Ghost. Then i have written back this image on another harddisk.

Now i need to know if the data of the two HDs match.

Is there a command or a tool coming with 'Knoppix 3.4' that can show me the exact written bytes on both HDs?

Thanks for your response!

firebyrd10
09-14-2004, 11:50 PM
Hi ppl.

I need help for this ...

I have made an image of a harddisk using Ghost. Then i have written back this image on another harddisk.

Now i need to know if the data of the two HDs match.

Is there a command or a tool coming with 'Knoppix 3.4' that can show me the exact written bytes on both HDs?

Thanks for your response!

Try md5sum (name of ghost image)

then cat /dev/hda | md5sum

and check the sums.
Not sure that will work though, ghost probably encodes the file instead of doing a RAW read.

xdream
09-15-2004, 06:34 AM

and check the sums.
Not sure that will work though, ghost probably encodes the file instead of doing a RAW read.

Think this will not work because the ghostimage is compressed. And it isn't a RAW read as you said. Thx anyway - i will give this a try though.

firebyrd10
09-15-2004, 12:27 PM

and check the sums.

Think this will not work because the ghostimage is compressed. And it isn't a RAW read as you said. Thx anyway - i will give this a try though.
I just reread your post.

Ignore the ghost image part, just do the cat /dev/hda | md5sum thing on both hardrives.

replacing the a (in hda) for each drive needed. Of course if you only made an image of a partition instead of a hardrive, you'll need to put the partitin number there also (ex: hda1)

Cuddles
09-15-2004, 04:41 PM

and check the sums.

I just reread your post.

Ignore the ghost image part, just do the cat /dev/hda | md5sum thing on both hardrives.

replacing the a (in hda) for each drive needed. Of course if you only made an image of a partition instead of a hardrive, you'll need to put the partitin number there also (ex: hda1)
PERFECT!
I think thats the trick, I used to do this for a "quick and dirty" file compare routine - back in my Windows Days - use a CRC on both source and target, if they match, chances are, the data actually matches... From what I know ( not much on this ) the md5sum does the same thing. I would bet that if your md5sum outputs match, then your drives data match as well.

Just my two cents,
Ms. Cuddles

firebyrd10
09-15-2004, 10:20 PM
PERFECT!
I think thats the trick, I used to do this for a "quick and dirty" file compare routine - back in my Windows Days - use a CRC on both source and target, if they match, chances are, the data actually matches... From what I know ( not much on this ) the md5sum does the same thing. I would bet that if your md5sum outputs match, then your drives data match as well.

Just my two cents,
Ms. Cuddles

Right, CRC and md5sum do the same thing. But md5sum is much more precise. If just one bit is off the output will be differnt. CRC on the other hand checks the data in a general way. It's used for thing like, if something does wrong with the data, alot will go wrong, such as sending it over dial up or wireless where if something happens, alot of the data will be currupted.

xdream
09-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Think this will work. I will try it.

THX a lot mate!

firebyrd10
09-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Think this will work. I will try it.

THX a lot mate!
Your welcome. :wink: