PDA

View Full Version : a nice way to install Knoppix, but...

yanggers
09-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Hi guys, I was curious about Linux and found this site:
http://unit.aist.go.jp/it/knoppix/win/index-en.html
it lets me install Knoppix on Windows partition and access it with Grub.
Did anybod else try this?
I have a small problem: it automates everything at the beginni till end and don't give me boot prompt. I need boot prompt to access and restore my Persistent Home thingy saved in my usb flash drive. Can I fix this somehow? Much appreciated.

eco2geek
09-15-2004, 07:58 AM
Yes, I tried it. It works well.

In order to restore your persistent home thingy off your flash drive thingy when you boot this custom Knoppix thingy, you just have to go into Windows and edit GRUB's configuration file thingy, which is C:\boot\menu.lst, with your favorite text editor thingy.

Look for the thingy...I mean the line in menu.lst that looks like this --

kernel /KNOPPIX/linux26 knoppix_dir=/KNOPPIX knoppix_name=KNOPPIX init=/etc/init lang=us hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi vga=791 ro

-- and put "home=/dev/sda1" (without the quotes) on that line anywhere after "init=/etc/init", save the file, boot into Knoppix with your USB thingy attached, and that should do it.

You can also put other cheatcode thingys in that line, like "noapm".

Kowood
09-16-2004, 01:58 AM
Is there anything like this for Win98?

Jameson
09-16-2004, 02:56 AM
Is their a 3.6 version for this?

ruymbeke
09-16-2004, 04:33 PM
Is there anything like this for Win98?

Is their a 3.6 version for this?
Yes. Look at this forum:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20
You can load and run GRUB from dos, using GRUB.EXE. You can run it from the config.sys (device=grub.exe) ot from the autoexec.bat (grub.exe). But do not load emm386.exe before starting grub. Then you should have a directory called boot in the root of c:/ and a file menu.lst within this directory with the parameters and cheatcodes required to start knoppix (kernel, ramdisk, home, ...) And obviously you need to have the kernel, ramdisk, and knoppix loop back file (700mb) within your fat16/fat32 partition. It works great for me and with 3.6 as well...
Enjoy, Gilles